Safety moving around London in a mobility scooter? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Safety moving around London in a mobility scooter?

Options
salwil89
salwil89 Community member Posts: 56 Courageous
I have a mobility problem which prevents me from getting around in the usual manner.  I am now applying for a Blue Badge with a view to acquiring a Mobility Scooter.  Can anyone tell me how safe it is to move around London with this item and how considerate are passing pedestrians and drivers of such disabled folk? Also I assume that the Blue Badge scheme does apply to the mobility scooter?

Comments

• salwil89
    Options
    I have not worked for 8 years. I used to do secretarial/admin work but because of my health condition, it is not easy for me to sit nor stand for any length of time.  Can anyone suggest what other type of work I could do?
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There are many mobility scooter users in my London suburb and they don't seem to have any problems.  They all drive on the pavement, though, as the roads are busy around here.  There's probably info online about whether the Blue Badge applies to scooters.
  • salwil89
    Options
    Hello Matilda. Many thanks for your reply.  Good to know this.  Have made further enquiries and things are looking positive.  Best wishes.

Brightness