DLA to PIP help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA to PIP help

doogle
doogle Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited January 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, I'm on two benefits at the moment ESA support and DLA. Due to spine and heart problems alongside depression and anxiety plus something called FND. I'm on morphine patch for spine DDD and bone spears and loads of heart Meds plus I'm serverly deaf and have anger issues due you the anxiety.im going   through the change from DLA TO PIP, my question is, how do you fill in the new forms and is there any tips on doing so?. 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @doogle welcome to the community.

Disability Rights UK created a guide for applying for PIP, you can see it here.  I hope this helps! 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    One tip for the mobility section.  CAB online PIP advice states that you should only tick the 'it varies' box if none of the other options apply more than 50% of the time.  I suspect that assessor companies and DWP are using the 'it varies' option not to award PIP mobility or at least not to award the enhanced rate.   Be specific and tick one of the other boxes.  Remember, to get enhanced rate you need to score 12 points which is if you are not able to walk more than 20 metres.
  • malhut1951
    malhut1951 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    i had my assessment in November and failed. Reconsideration straight away still waiting since 10th December. I have cardio vascular , artherosclerosis, cervical /Ankolising spondilosis,plus plus  snotty little nurse he told me i ask the questions you supply the answers and didnt know any difference between osteo arthritis and soindilosus. Then i had to pay £30 fir my doctor support letter.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    The point is that it is not the diagnoses themselves that earn people points toward PIP - it's how their medical conditions affect their ability to carry out specific, essential everyday tasks and to walk outdoors.

If your reconsideration fails, you can of course appeal to a tribunal.

I agree that assessors are not adequately medically trained.  Mine asked me about my symptoms but, from the blank look on her face, she hadn't a clue if these were right or not.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @doogle

How are you? Did you manage to fill in the PIP forms OK? Anything we can help with?
  • doogle
    doogle Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Alex, I've sent the form off with little help from DIAC. Waiting now for the inevitable medical. I've stated that I get angina in stressful situations, I just hope they take note of what I've put down and treat me with the respect disabled people deserve which the  last Government and the one before it has forgotten. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.