pip assessment "can you plan a journey" — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

pip assessment "can you plan a journey"

denisedeedee
denisedeedee Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi my name is denny and just wanting some info on how to help me with the pip assessment particularly the "can you plan a journey"   I think this is a very misleading question to ask a disabled person as surely not all disabled people are mentally incapable which is what he question is leading too.
i suffer from severe anxiety amongst many other physical disabilities  and my therapist tells me that discussing my fears of journeys would be detrimental and she assures me that they should by rights accept a written statement  about my difficulites.....anyone know if this would be acceptable ?   As i would prefer to write it down as opposed to talking as talking brings back too many deep seated fears  - even therapy results in a breakdown and that is with someone Ive grown to know and trust.    

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @denisedeedee welcome to the community.

The CAB has a great guide to filling in the PIP forms and it breaks it down section by section.  Here is the planning a journey section. It encourages you to write all your needs on the form and I would include all the things you mention in this post.  It says that this question is especially important if you have sight or hearing difficulties, learning disabilities, autism, stress or anxiety. 

Are you filling the forms in now or have you already done so and your concerns are about the medical assessment? 

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • sue66
    sue66 Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Hi my name is denny and just wanting some info on how to help me with the pip assessment particularly the "can you plan a journey"   I think this is a very misleading question to ask a disabled person as surely not all disabled people are mentally incapable which is what he question is leading too.
    i suffer from severe anxiety amongst many other physical disabilities  and my therapist tells me that discussing my fears of journeys would be detrimental and she assures me that they should by rights accept a written statement  about my difficulites.....anyone know if this would be acceptable ?   As i would prefer to write it down as opposed to talking as talking brings back too many deep seated fears  - even therapy results in a breakdown and that is with someone Ive grown to know and trust.    
    HI Denny, I would def write down everything and as much details as possible as to avoid a one to one assessment. I hope im right in thinking they only call to see you because you havn't given enough details on the PIP form. At least you do have therapist to support you which is bound to help a lot. It is indeed very worrying and i think most people are very anxious. Hoping all turns out good for you. 
    Sue 
  • trudy
    trudy Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Hi i had to fill my sons forms in for pip.he has autism and aspergers his 22.it was hard to fill the form in.and i wrote that down in the section where it says is there anything to add.i put down... your questiins on the form are related to people with physical dissabilities and not mental dissabillities so it is very hard to answer your questions.i have answered as best i could.i also put down where it says can you come to an appointment.i put i could not possibly say for deffinate whether my son would turn up for an appointment because his anxiety and panic attacks are unpridictable.the form is like they are trying to trick you so you fail at getting the points.my son was awarded middle on both mobility and living component.iam on a fb group.and they have lots of information and advice.allot are being awarded 0 points.but put in an mandatary review.then if they fail that they are appealing the decision.and then if they fail the appeal they go to court and win.you have to prove to them that you basically cant do anything.its a cruel thing the government are doing to all these needing the help.try answer the questions and remember what you have put because mine tried to misslead me but i had coppied everything down what i had wrote.remember these people that come to see you are not experts in dissabilities they are employed by our government.so dont feel threatened by them.clearly state you cant get out and that someone has to go shopoing for you and that someone has to come and cook for you ect ect.please dont worry about the forms or them people assesing you.if they turn you down appeal x
  • trudy
    Sorry its so long x
  • sue66
    Well put Trudy, As you say the forms questions dont cater for every ones illnesses or ailments, when i think back to how easy and straight forward it was years ago to get the DLA compared to this lot. Though im my hubbys case was far from straight forward and it took 3 years to get it due to family dr messing it up for him, one of them drs that didn't believe anyone should have it.  My grand daughter who is struggling to go to work still with MS  and believe me she is struggling got 1 point! But this because all she had put on her form was contradicted by the fact she was trying to go to work! No points for trying hear! A lot of people actually do get the PIP based on mental states rather than physical, my son scraped through cos he said he couldn't go on a motorway without feeling stressed, nothing taken into account for his back on which he had medical backup and scans, Oh and he had to take it as  far as the court stage as well. Many though just cant cope with the stress and anxiety of it all and give up. 
    Glad your son got at least the middle rate, and so he should too.
    Sue x
  • trudy
    Its terrible what the government are doing to everyone that needs the help.i joined a dissability group on fb and the stories you read on there are heart breaking people on there with no limbs in terrible pain and been refused help.but most appeal and win.and manage to go threw the appeal with the support of the fb group x
  • sue66
    Name of the group please Trudy 

Sue x
  • trudy
    I wil go on fb have a look iam in two groups there quite long the title of the groups x
  • trudy
    Esa dla/pip info support group there very helpful x
  • sue66
    trudy said:
    Esa dla/pip info support group there very helpful x

Found it thanks!  x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.