Looking for advice on buying an accessible tv — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking for advice on buying an accessible tv

dmart
dmart Community member Posts: 2 Listener
My father has a visual impairment and his cognitive function is slightly decreasing due to age and side effects of medication for physical health. 

I need to get him a new TV with the following specs:
Freeview
40" (give or take)
Audio guidance on menus and epg
Easy to use remote control
£300 (give or take)
HDMI

Does anyone know of any good tvs for this? 
Maybe one with large writing or a zoom feature? 
Or even a universal remote control that is easy to see and use? 

Any advice or ideas would be very welcome! 

Comments

• Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    The RNIB have a good online shop and website so they may have someone who could advise re TV's?

This is one of their remote controls..

http://shop.rnib.org.uk/easy-to-see-universal-remote-control.html
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2017
    You could look on John Lewis' website - customer TV reviews. John Lewis sell a wide range of TVs and many reviews are very thorough. Also JL give detailed specifications.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger

Samsung does a lot to improve accessibility to their TVs http://www.samsung.com/uk/accessibility/product_televisions.html#vision

Not sure if these are on certain suitable models, or all suitable models. You could try asking Samsung, or shop around, hopefully staff would be aware of such features.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• dmart
    dmart Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I did check rnib, I didn't see anything about a specific TV but thank you for the idea about the controller. I've emailed them to ask if it will work with a freeview TV. 

I've had a look online at a number of stores but I haven't found anything (in specs or reviews) about specific accessibility. 

I saw the Samsung website (and Panasonic released some back 2012) but I can't find specific models that match the desired specs that definitely have those accessibility features. I'll have to make time to go to a store in person I think, I was just hoping to hear from someone that maybe has something they can recommend or anything first.

Thanks for help so far. If anyone knows of a specific model I'd love to hear about it.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dmart did you ever find a good tv for your dad?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness