Hi, my name is dowdy — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is dowdy

Options
dowdy
dowdy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I will soon be applying for PIP. I was wondering what sort of advice could benefit my application. Ive heard so much negativity about the process. 

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @dowdy

Read the guidance about completing the PIP form on Disability Rights, CAB and Scope websites.  And attach a diary - Disability Rights give a draft diary for guidance.  Disability Rights guidance is more detailed but CAB make a good point about which box to tick for the walking distance question.
    PIP is not about the conditions you have but how they affect your ability to carry out a range of essential daily tasks and your ability to walk outdoors.    And 50% (at least four a week) must be bad days when you have great difficulty carrying out these tasks and walking outdoors.  

If possible, try to get some face to face advice from CAB or a similar advice agency.

At assessment, it's a good idea to keep answers as simple as possible without excluding any essential details.  Assessors are not very highly trained medics (mine was a paramedic) so probably will understand little, if anything, about your condition itself. 

The assessor will also observe you informally and ask you indirect questions that indicate ability to carry out tasks.  For example, they'll observe you walking from the waiting area to the interview room, watch if you put any belongings down on the floor and pick them up later, watch how easily you are able to take a coat off and put it on.  And they'll ask if you have any hobbies - for example knitting or doing jigsaws would indicate a high level of manual dexterity.  They might also ask if you do housework which would indicate considerable strength and stamina.  And if you have any pets which would indicate a certain recurrent ability to be active in order to look after them.

It's the indirect assessing that you have to watch out for as much as the direct!

This link is the DWP's guide to assessors about how to informally observe interviewees and how to indirectly ask about the extent to which they are active.

• dowdy
    dowdy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Matilda, thank you so much for your reply. It makes interesting reading. Regards dowdy 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You're welcome, dowdy.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Great thoughts from @Matilda here! You can also have a look at the CAB advice on filling in PIP forms that may help.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.