Looking after disable stroke mum — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking after disable stroke mum

iza
iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
Hi @All,
I am planning to look after my mum (stroke survival right side paralysed still wheelchair user) possibly from October 2017 here in UK (London).
My mum lives in another country and is retired now. 
I have a question : 
What should I organise in terms of assistance  to get my mum on a plane? 
If I live on second floor in council flat how long take process of swapping flats?

Please advise. 
I know there is still bit time ahead to plan everything but I like to know what should I sort and how. Thanks for advices. 

Iza 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2017
    Hi @iza I don't know a lot about housing but I have read other people's experiences on here where it can be very tough to swap properties for ground floor or bungalows.  I suppose it depends on your area, my mum was waiting over two years to get a ground floor flat as she has terrible arthritis and was living on a first floor flat with no lifts.

I would say you should get in touch with your housing department asap. If it is a council house, I would think you would need to tell them that she will be living with you too.

Regarding travel, I think it depends on what mobility your mum has.  When I booked flights last year and was in a wheelchair, the question they needed to know was whether I could walk onto the plane or not.  It was really easy to organise to have wheelchair assistance in the airport and to the doors of the cabin though.

It is definitely worth getting all the information sooner rather than later so you know what you need to have in place.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    Hi @Sam_Scope,

Thanks you very much for your advice. I will start asking perhaps when I will be back from half term home visit. 

Have a nice evening. 

Iza 

Brightness