being diagnosed with ASD later in life — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

being diagnosed with ASD later in life

Options
Tanja42
Tanja42 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited February 2017 in Autism and neurodiversity
I have read comments about being diagnosed with ASD later in life. My son is Autistic and we have a lot of associated traits but I have suffered anxiety and have a diagnosis of borderline personality disorder which I am still being treated for. All my life I have struggled and I wonder how as an adult I can go about getting assessed to see if I have Autism. I asked my doctor once a while ago and she said it was just my depression and wouldn't refer me. Any ideas of who to go to would be helpful. My son is 7 and at a special school and was diagnosed at 6 years old. It was so obvious to me but even his diagnosis took 2 years. Thanks.

Comments

• iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi @Tanja42

You should not tie up so easily . Just insist of them the referral simple like that. there was time that Dr did not want sent my son for allergy test as I notice that something is not completely write. I got to the point I said the Dr if I will not get blood test done I will not leave the room. I got blood test and it showed my son is allergic to dust mites and I had to remove all carpets and change duvets and pillow for anti- allergic and buy matters cover. You need to insist simple like that.

iza

• VioletFenn
    VioletFenn Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Tanja42

You are absolutely entitled to ask for assessment, but as you've already discovered some GPs are more helpful than others! Try getting in touch with National Autistic Society and asking for details of a local autism support group - they will be able to help you figure out what steps to take next.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Tanja,

How are you? Have you managed to get an assessment?

Brightness