DLA money in the changeover to PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA money in the changeover to PIP

charmed
charmed Community member Posts: 53 Connected
edited February 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Dla to Pip
I sent my renewal for PIP 13th january 2017, how does my DLA payments work, i am on high and middle rate before this application, this is the ONLY income money i receive will i be without any money inbetween change over?  I do not receive any other benefits carers and disability.

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    You continue to received DLA as usual until your PIP award is decided and your first PIP payment should be paid about four weeks after your last DLA payment.  My payments were a bit erratic during the changeover but no long gaps.  I received the full correct amount in due course.  Took DWP about two months to start paying the correct amount on the right day every four weeks.

If you do experience any long gaps in payments, phone the DWP and ask what's happening.
  • charmed
    Thank you Matilda
  • charmed
    Im in Sutton Surrey one of the late boroughs to call up do you roughly know how long from time they received my forms,(which i received a receipt text)  very very anxious! 
  • Matilda
    I heard from Atos with an assessment appointment date within a couple of weeks of DWP having received my PIP form.  Assessment companies have to give you at least two weeks' notice of an appointment date and they allow you to change the date once.  They'll pay travel costs including taxi fares.
  • charmed
    Thanks, im unable to travel distance prefer at home, mobility.  can you say also request a gender, if they give two weeks notice thats ok as will need helper at house
  • Matilda
    Yes, you can ask for a same-gender assessor.  Don't know if you can request an opposite-gender assessor - in this event you could ask the assessment company's customer services helpline.
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    mitilda is right, my DLA was payed until i got PIP, there was no gap inbetween. i was getting the same middle rate and full rate mobility, i wish you good luck.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi charmed,

DLA payments should continue, as long as you do everything which they require - your next step being to attend the assessment (or home assessment if you need one - you can ask for this). 

Once the PIP decision is made, and assuming you are awarded PIP, DLA continues until four weeks after the DLA pay day which follows the PIP decision. Then PIP payments take over.

Thanks to Matilda and nanof6 above!

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.