PIP and Attendance Allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP and Attendance Allowance

Matilda
Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
edited December 2016 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I am 68 and receive standard rate PIP daily living component (was under 65 as at 8 April 2013). Would I be eligible for Attendance Allowance in addition to PIP - or can I only claim PIP or Attendance Allowance, not both at the same time?

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Matilda. You can only get PIP or Attendance Allowance, not both. The standard rate daily living component is the same as the lower rate of attendance allowance in financial terms.

If you felt as though your award of PIP is not high enough (that you should get 12 or more points, when you look at the activities for daily living), then you can ask for what's called a supersession - the DWP would look at your award again.  You might be able to get the enhanced rate (which is the same as the higher rate of Attendance Allowance, financially). You would need to provide evidence and you might be called for a further medical.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Matilda
    edited December 2016
    Thank you, Will.  I have already had a mandatory reconsideration, with no change and am about to appeal to a tribunal.

Is a supersession different from a mandatory reconsideration?
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Matilda,

A supersession is a kind of mandatory reconsideration, so no, it's not different - the word 'supersession' just means it's a change of circumstances rather than you challenging the original decision. If you're challenging the original decision (ie you think you should have got the enhanced rate all along), it's called a revision.

It's all about what date you would expect to get the extra money from, the date of a change or notification of a change, or the original date of your award.

Anyway, going to the tribunal is the correct next step in either case. It may be worth thinking about when you think you met the enhanced rate conditions, bearing in mind you need to meet them for 3 months in the past & expect to meet them for 9 months going forward in order to be entitled to that higher rate. If you think the standard rate was always wrong, then that's pretty straightforward.

If you think that you got worse, then as long as you informed the DWP within one month of meeting the conditions for the enhanced rate (so, within four months after you got worse if that makes sense!), you can get it backdated to the date you met the conditions.  

Hope this helps.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• andstep
    andstep Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi I to am claim P.I.P as was a long time D.L.A recipient . I too was not old enough to stay on D.L.A being 68 in a few weeks . I had to ask for a reconsider as I was 2 points short of the mobility section - I have had mobility for several years. Still came back as 2 points short.  I have decided to accept this as I cannot face the stress this has caused me.  I need transport , but I wonder if there is something about being just too young as my friend has also lost her mobility component . Does this mean that the age group 64 to 68 have been dismissed ! . 
  • Matilda
    I don't know @andstep - some people younger than us have been awarded enhanced mobility.  I'm sorry that you cannot face the stress of appealing to a tribunal.  I know that the whole PIP process is very stressful indeed but I have appealed and will be attending a tribunal.  As I was getting DLA highest rate care and higher rate mobility, I don't think my benefits should have been downgraded to standard rate PIP daily living and mobility.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.