The stress of waiting for a diagnosis — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The stress of waiting for a diagnosis

SweetCherry
SweetCherry Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited February 2017 in Education
Hi all
I'm here in desperation. I have a son with as yet undiagnosed ADHD. I am finding it really really hard to watch as he falls behind in school and the community paediatric referral process in my area is literally taking years. It's affecting his academic ability, his future potential, his confidence, his happiness, mine and my partner's happiness, our relationship and my mental health. I am not sure anyone realises how damaging this huge wait is for families. I don't feel I can cope much longer but do not want to revert to taking anti depressants. I have asked my SENCO and the local ASD support group for ADHD support groups in my area (West Kent) but there are none. How come?? Is it because all the children eventually end up on the medication and so groups are not needed? What about those waiting for diagnosis, like me, who are just so so unhappy and struggling to cope?
Yours hoping someone, anyone, is listening and maybe understands?
Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SweetCherry welcome to the community, I have moved your post to the Ask an educational psychologist category and hope @EducationalPsychologist may be able to help.

@InformationSupportWorker can you offer any support? 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    There is also lots of info on ADHD support here and you can find the ADHD foundation here.

@Snusie do you have any ideas that could help?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • InformationSupportWorker
    InformationSupportWorker Community member Posts: 15 Connected

Hello Sweet Cherry

It is so hard waiting  for any type of referral for diagnosis, especially when you see your child falling behind at school and knowing that he needs some help - does the school offer support for your child?

Sam has given you links to the National Groups above - I hope they were useful. I am an  Information and Advice Worker here at Scope.  You may have already heard of the Parents Consortium based in Hextable in Kent. They have a number of general Parent Support Groups. They say that there are other families with a child with ADHD in the groups, which are based in Gravesend, Swancombe, Swanley and Northfleet. They also run a Dad's group in Swanley. For more information please give them a ring  on 01322 668 501

I have also found the ADD/ADHD Support Group in West Malling. This is run by parents the email given is juliagreen@aol.com.

I hope this is useful.

With very best wishes to you all.

• EducationalPsychologist
    EducationalPsychologist Community member Posts: 118 Courageous
    Hi Sweet Cherry,
    It is so frustrating to wait and painful for parents to watch their children suffer due to slow referral processes. You are being very strong and doing the right thing seeking support. You may also like to join the Facebook group Its Not Just You. you can also go to your local MP for help in trying to speed up the process. I hope you get some clear answers soon.

Brightness