Subjected to anti-social noise nuisance - Need housing advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Subjected to anti-social noise nuisance - Need housing advice

Rob63
Rob63 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I am currently living in rented housing association property. For 2 years I have been subjected to antisocial noise nuisance and recently was assaulted by a neighbour. My housing association and environmental health at my local council repeatedly refused to provide me with sound recording equipment to prove my neighbours' behaviour.
I am angry and aggrieved. My situation today is that it is most likely unsafe for me to remain at my flat as I have also had a brick thrown through my window.
My housing association will not evict the neighbour unless I testify in court and my assailant, the tenant's partner, is convicted of assault. 
They say they have no property in my city to offer me.
As many of you know many private landlords will not rent to DWP benefit recipients and suitable, safe social housing is thin on the ground.
Any comments and advice is very much appreciated. Thanks Rob63

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rob63 this sounds like a really stressful and complex situation.  @gillcoddington or @DebbieVoakes do you have any information that could help Rob?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    As your local council's environmental health have refused to take action, I suggest that you complain to your local councillor.  Also tell them about the assault and the brick.

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Did you call the police about the brick being thrown through the window @Rob63 ?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Bettyboop
    Bettyboop Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi Rob63,

Having been a "Victim/Survivor" of Anti-Social Behaviour via a neighbour from 1999 for 4 Years where constant noise deliberately designed to upset my peace of mind / being burgled twice in that time (I know it was the neighbour) as most crimes are committed by someone the person knows.....then in my Housing Association property now which I've  lived in since 2011....i not only had ASB from a neighbour ie ringing of intercom / unknown numbers (this neighbour and I used to get along well - even go out socially / politically) BUT I also had the Housing Officer from HELL. I went to Court and it was an absolute farce - how this Housing Officer lied through her back teeth. Thankfully this dreadful person left their job in August 2016 - but I'm still carrying the scars of what was done. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news BUT most Housing Associations are only interested in property damage / rent arrears NOT people or neighbour disputes. The Police will put your complaint down as a Civil matter - refer it back to the HA - and then you will be like a hamster in a wheel....i have been on the tenants association for one of the biggest Social Housing Landlords in London / Done Training and Anti-Social Behaviour is the most complained about issue BUT the least dealt with properly. There is a Conspiracy of Silence amongst HA Workers when unpleasant matters such as your one Rob arise. I can only suggest consulting a Law Firm that gives Free Legal Advice...or contacting Shelter 08088004444 (Freephone Number) and they will (hopefully) refer you on to their Civil Legal Advice Department. Now that the Government wants to "do away with Social Housing" and push forward Private Rented Properties...Tenants will have even less Rights....so much for Democracy / Equality. Best of Luck
  • Kathy_Bramley
    Kathy_Bramley Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    Some places have a neighbour dispute team who work to resolve things and at least that's independent eyes on the situation who can testify if need be. What's holding you back from the assault charge? Maybe there's support available locally, some kind of advocate who can help you through the process. I am not sure whether there's any legal advice lines available to you and legal aid. Shelter's advice line may also be helpful, but I suspect Scopes advisers tagged in her will be just as useful. Citizens Advice Bureau, another angle, I don't know how useful they'd be. Do you have any work, union, banking or other membership based legal advice line you have access to? My husband's union had one that was general as well as work specific I think. 
    Autistic mother (they/them) not Autism Mom
  • Kathy_Bramley
    Kathy_Bramley Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    Earplugs and defenders as interim measure?
    Autistic mother (they/them) not Autism Mom

Brightness