Parking — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Parking

Gaza69690
Gaza69690 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited August 2018 in Transport and travel
Been looking for some info on getting my employer to get a disabled parking space at my office, been asking for 12 months and was told last week to cut out a template myself and spray one on the ground.

Comments

• Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Hi Gaza. Have you tried asking one of the employment advisers on here? I am sure there is a law about employers having to make reasonable adjustments for disability - they will know what it is. 

It did make me laugh (in a bad way) about painting your own space! But it isn't funny really - I hope you get it sorted out soon. 
  • Gaza69690
    Gaza69690 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thank you, when I showed the email about doing myself to my wife she hit the roof 
  • simonsable
    simonsable Community member Posts: 75 Connected
    Sorry I have little knowledge about parking

• newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Sorry but in the grand scheme of things, it isn't the end of the world to do  it,  or get wife or friend to do something for yourself, bearing in mind you have been sitting helplessly waiting, and bearing in mind they have made what could seem to them like a perfectly sensible suggestion,  not refused you,.

Also,  bearing in mind two things

First, if they eventually do it, you dont know the secret  cost in attitude, and of goodwill,  not just to you, but for future disabled job applicants .   They cant openly declare they discriminate, but if they keep it to themselves, and have a cover story to explain why others were employed,  then realistically nobody can force them to give someone a job.

In the back of their minds, right or wrong,  they may hold a grudge about disabled people kicking up a fuss, being demanding, being too much of a nuisance.   

Second  suppose eventually they do find a general handimanpainter and pay him,  will you get exactly your own best preference?  . He may try to spray the word "Disaleb" (sic) over the floor.    He is very unlikely to know the size of your car, and may just mark out a roughly standard parking space.    He absolutely will not know, as you do after a year, which is the most ideal   position, one which suits you best, out of all possible places in the car park,  the most convenient for how your car swings in, and how you prefer to get out.

You have the option  to perhaps stay late one evening, and get exactly the best result for your own preferences.    Why not seize both the spray can and the opportunity,  with both hands?.
  • simonsable
    simonsable Community member Posts: 75 Connected
    @Pippa_ScopePlease can you direct this enquiry to the right person? 

Brightness