Question about assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Question about assessment

Options
davidj49
davidj49 Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi, I'm Violet, ask me questions about ASD.

Comments

• davidj49
    Options
    HI Violet,
    I read that you were seen at a hospital for 30 minutes and told on the spot that you are on the spectrum.  Did you ask your GP for a referral? Were you not sent two questionnaires to fill out before getting an appointment for an assessment? Normally the assessment takes at least 2 hours and the  diagnosis isn't made  immediately as the assessor has to confer with other consultants before a final decision is  made.

I can't understand your account of being seen for just 30 minutes, I am sure that the NHS and NAS do not do things in that manner.

This is just my two pence worth.
  • VioletFenn
    VioletFenn Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @davidj49 Yes, it's unusual to get a dx that quickly! However I've been in the system for a long time for other related issues and had already filled out a lot of the questionnaires etc on previous occasions, which the consultant had seen. I had also had discussions with my GP, whose notes were also available. 

Although I was seen by an NHS consultant it was in a private capacity. He was very clear that he would normally have expected to do further assessments but given the background info and the way I presented in general, was happy to give a straightforward dx. Hope that helps.
  • davidj49
    Options
    So you didn't go down the correct route via your GP. The GP is the one who can refer you to be assessed via the NHS  designated clinics funded by the NAS/NHS.

They then send  you the two questionnaires, one for you and one for a family member/close friend who knew you as a child, only after receiving your questionnaires will they then decided on whether you are accepted to be assessed, it's never at a private clinic, but only at NAS/NHS funded Autism assessment.

You should ask your GP to be referred and do it correctly, as your DX doesn't sound official, and only NHS referral Autism diagnoses are accepted.
  • VioletFenn
    Options
    Accepted by who, @davidj49 ? And could you explain what you mean by an 'official' dx? For what it's worth I'm perfectly happy with the situation as, whatever form it arrived in, my dx makes no difference to anyone except myself.

I'm rather confused as to your motives here. 

• davidj49
    Options
    Accepted by who, @davidj49 ? And could you explain what you mean by an 'official' dx? For what it's worth I'm perfectly happy with the situation as, whatever form it arrived in, my dx makes no difference to anyone except myself.

No motive here, thanks, or have you got motives?

I know that only a NHS referral leads to a NHS accepted autism diagnosis, that the social benefits system and edcuation system accepts.

Private diagnoses  are not accepted.

Your account doesn't make any sense, and I recommend you do it via the correct channels

Referral via a NHS GP is the only official  route. Private diagnoses are worthless.

• davidj49
    Options

This explains things perfectly........ a private dx is not accepted by all social services. So always get a referral via GP to be formally diagnosed, it's all free.

http://www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis/adults.aspx
  • davidj49
    edited February 2017
    Options

My Father was  newspaper sports editor for a London newspaper on Fleet St, maybe this is why I take things so seriously when I write. No offence meant.
  • VioletFenn
    Options
    Hi @davidj49

Whilst I appreciate both your interest and concern, as I said before I am fine with how things are. 

I am myself a journalist. No offence taken.

All the best.
  • davidj49
    Options
    @VioletFenn

Great. I am glad you got there in the end. My Dad is upset that the Metro exists, The Evening Standard is a fabulous newspaper icon, and I remeber entering the great building on Fleet St with the Art Deco interior and the amazing clock outside, I envy your career, I am but a lowly golf pro.

Brightness