P.I.P. denials. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

P.I.P. denials.

Fundamentalist
Fundamentalist Community member Posts: 133 Courageous
Hi from Fm. I have just seen on the regional news tonight (07/02/2017) several people who obviously cannot work being totally wrongly "assessed" by people who are supposedly "qualified professionals" as supposedly "fit for work" and at least one of them was in a wheelchair. But I bet their so-called "professionals" will be just like those I've met before who have never heard of anything remotely like misophonia or severe heat intolerance, and are therefore obviously NOT properly trained as in my experience they never are. They haven't tried it with me yet and woe betide anyone who tries to tell ME I'm supposedly "fit for work" and tries to cut my benefit, I'll go storming straight into the manager's office and GET THEM TOLD sharpish! "Don't you think I'd like to be able to work? Do you really think I like being on lousy benefits so I can hardly afford anything remotely nice?" The way I have to live is just like being in PRISON and I'll tell them that if I have to. So don't stand for it. I'd like to take this opportunity to seriously encourage anyone who like me absolutely cannot work to stand up to the DWP and get them told if they try and cut your benefit because I certainly will. There are some circumstances in this life where you have to take the hardline because the DWP will so you have to be even MORE hardline with them and not take any nonsense and I for one certainly won't! Just going shopping for about half a dozen items is hard enough for me and is often an absolutely brutal ordeal. Do you know if I can get to see a PIP application form in advance so I can see what I'm up against and how to fill it in, I'll probably have to do what I had to do with the last "assessment" form I had to fill and turn some of the questions right around. How am I supposed to work when I can't even go into a jobcentre because of the appalling noise in such a place? I'll tell them that too. How will they "assess" something like misophonia, especially if they've never even heard of it and if they haven't I'll make a serious formal complaint again which I shouldn't have to. Fm.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Fundamentalist there is an online PIP self test you can do to see if you could be entitled to PIP.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Fundamentalist
    Hi from Fm. What kind of place are these "assessments" held in? It had better not be in an open room where there's other folk hanging around, it had better be somewhere private and quiet . If not I'll get them told that I absolutely must have somewhere thoroughly quiet otherwise I'll make a serious formal complaint to their management or the DWP, whichever is relevant. And surely that alone will let them see what sort of deadly serious problems I have. Another thing on the govt. site mentions "engaging with people", well that is often a serious problem for me, it all depends on exactly what they mean by "engaging" as I've explained to the DWP before I absolutely cannot get on with or fit in with people at all, just travelling a short distance on public transport or going shopping is often an appalling experience. I can sit and talk to someone if they're the right kind of person and it has to be somewhere really unrealistically quiet. Surely that alone should make it totally clear that such a person obviously cannot work. If they can't see the point there then they're obviously not professional enough. Fm.
  • scouser
    scouser Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    I had my face to face meeting for pip 3 weeks this Tuesday not hard yet I had mine in my own home and the person I seen was ok to me but they all are to your face but let's see what they say on paper my son had his in a office it was a private room and only you and a friend or family member and the pip person my soon got turns down didn't get one point and what they said on paper about him was not nice won't go in to it all but he got no points his was for mental health proms my walking etc 
  • Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Hi @Fundamentalist, if you need any more advice on applying for PIP you can post a discussion to our online benefits advisors.@scouser, good luck with your PIP.
  • Fundamentalist
    Hi from Fm. Actually I don't think I should have any problem with PIP as when I last had to apply for DLA I filled in the form all by myself and it was accepted and there was no need for any so-called "assessment" just as there wasn't when the "reassessments" were done for disabilities generally later on. I just got a letter telling me I was put on a support group whatever that is. But if they start being awkward they will get told. Fm.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.