Pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip

Options
Mumofmonsters
Mumofmonsters Community member Posts: 1 Listener
hi im 36 a mother of 5 and my partner works 
I was raped around 3 years ago now by my ex partner and suffer ptsd and depression and anxiety and spycosis 
also since this I have been suffering from severe pain all over my body I have got a rheumatologist appointment next week 
it's either fibromyalgia or chronic mayafacial pain
my question is am I entitled to pip as I am unable to work because of my mental state and physical 
but I am not in a wheel chair or need adaptions and I can walk distances but I am in pain and suffer after excersise
i also do not really go out of my home 

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

Hi Mumofmonsters,

The benefit that is paid because you are unable to work is employment and support allowance. You need a doctors medical certificate ('fit note') to start the claim. There are two versions - contributory and income related. You won't qualify for the income related version if your partner works more than 24 hours per week. To get the contributory version you usually must have worked in the last few years and paid sufficient national insurance contributions. The only way to be sure if you have or not is to make a claim.

Personal independence payment is paid not because you can't work, but because you have an illness or disability that affects your daily living and/or mobility. It depends on how much it affects you in certain activities, not on your diagnoses.  Have a look at the information on the Scope benefit pages on personal independence payment to see whether you think you might qualify. If so, it's worth putting in a claim. PIP isn't affected by your partner's work or earnings.

Please post back if you have any more questions about PIP.

Best wishes,

Michael

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.