Worried about switch form DLA to PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Worried about switch form DLA to PIP

Miniminx
Miniminx Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited February 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have a genetic illness and have been told to apply for PiP even though I was awarded DLA for life years ago .
i have applied for PIP and I'm so worried they will take if off me as I won't be able to work without it ?

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ Miniminx

I assume you have sent in your PIP application form and awaiting an assessment appointment?

Read Disability Rights' and CAB's websites info on PIP.

PIP points are awarded for how your condition affects you, not for the condition itself.  You have to get across to the assessor that your condition severely limits your abilities on at least four days a week.

The assessor will informally assess how you walk from the waiting area to interview room and if you put your belongings down on the floor and pick them up again later.  They'll ask about your work and hobbies to see if those indicate physical strength, manual dexterity, walking ability.

The first link is to the DWP's Handbook for PIP assessors.  These are the guidelines assessors are supposed to follow - but most don't!

The second is the DWP's guide for assessors on how to informally observe interviewees and how to ask indirect questions to try to ascertain physical strength, manual dexterity and mobility!

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/519147/pip-assessment-guide.pdf

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2017
    Some great advice there from @Matilda :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Ironside50
    Ironside50 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    well I have concerns too, and would like help.now I have to go for a face to face next week, now I've been told by another 4 people they capita are falsyfying the assessment report ,they get you to sighn and date ,then wen you have left they make false statements about you so they can throw you off,
    now since I shared this with Alex another 4 have told me they put in the ones report he could lift his legs above his head and something else ,but yet again this never took place ,surely something can be done? this is fraud 
  • ChrisKz
    ChrisKz Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Did I read that right? They get you to sign ... sign what ... Assessor came did her stuff and left . I didn't sign a thing ?
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Sounds like it might only be Capita asking people to sign reports.  Atos didn't ask me to sign anything (they just put lies and half-truths in the report!).
  • ChrisKz
    ChrisKz Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    I just posted on another  post ..... Assessor left me in great pain since visit ( 4th feb ) having problems getting around home and in/out of bed

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.