AIBU Shopping at Aldi — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

AIBU Shopping at Aldi

annieod
annieod Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi All,

A newbie here so apologies if im posting in the wrong section or shouldn't be posting this at all.

I went to my local Aldi store a few weeks ago, I was having a good day so was able to drive and walk slowly using the trolley for help. Now we like almond milk in our house so I thought whilst it was very cheap I'd grab a box of 8, to do this I had to put them in the trolley one by one then placed the cardboard outer in the trolley and transferred the milk one by one again into the cardboard.

This has tired me somewhat and so once I get to the checkout I place one carton on the belt with my other few bits, doing this as I know I'm going to have transfer them again one by one to my car - feeling this would be a bit too much but hey I was on a role.

The checkout assistant told me 'No - its company policy that they must scan every item individually therefore please present all 8 of exactly the same milk on the belt.

The store is busy and I really don't want to make a fuss, I explain my situation and I'm told yet again it's company policy.

i manage to place all the cartons in and out yet again, close to tears, pay and leave transfer them to the car, then cry most of the way home.

i then decided to contact head office, who advised me that this was correct and they hope I'll shop there again. I advised them how difficult it was for me and also the effects that left me stuck at home on strong medication for a number of days.

Im lucky as my other half will gladly do the shopping, am I being unreasonable though to want a small bit of independence still?

Are Aldi correct with how they dealt with me?

Any advice/comments are gratefully received.......

Comments

• Ariel
    Ariel Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    What a shame. I'm sorry you were treated that way.  :(

Are there other supermarkets available to you?

As an autistic person, Aldi's simply off-limits for me. It doesn't accommodate my needs. I struggle with the motor movements required to quickly deal with shopping when it's thrown to the end of the checkout. The same applies to the speed of the transaction as a whole - attempting to move my shopping whilst someone's waiting for me to pay, then trying to put my card back into my purse so I don't lose it when they're moving on to the next customer already...

I'm not good at social interaction as it is, so I prefer minimal (and ideally non-existent) contact with other humans whilst I'm shopping, too.

I absolutely love our local Tesco, as they have the Scan and Shop system. Would that suit you, if it's available nearby? You can scan the shopping as you put it into your trolley, straight into bags, and no need to worry about getting it out again.
    I've had to stop using Tesco recently, because they've reduced all of their ranges and I can't find all the things I want any more, but I'm still disappointed about it because I really miss the Scan and Shop!
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    I understand that it may be their policy to scan them all, but you'd think if a customer was telling them they needed help that they could have asked someone to load your shopping for you?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Aldi have broken the law by not making a reasonable adjustment or making it as easy for a disabled person to shop there as non-disabled.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, discrimination law is not policed and Aldi don't need the business of the disabled. They certainly don't want staff taking time out to assist them.

Aldi are no different to most other shops either.
  • wheelydad
    wheelydad Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    I too have had problems with service at a local Aldi store. I use a powerchair outdoors, and NHS light manual wheelchair indoors. 
    Recently, due to inclement weather, I called in to Aldi which is nearer than my usual Tesco store. However, on reaching the checkout, I was told that I could not reload my basket, as it could not be taken beyond there. I only required to move to the loading point, to transfer my goods to my own bag. I apologised to the queue for the delay , and asked to see the manager.  I told the manager that if I could not proceed as I requested,  I would not pay for goods and he could return them to his shelves. I was surprised to  receive a round of applause from the queue,  he instructed the  checkout lady to comply with my request.
    It pays to stand your ground with shops like Aldi.

I    prefer to shop at Tesco, where assistance is offered if required.

Brightness