advice on what to do if I lose the PIP tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

advice on what to do if I lose the PIP tribunal

Options
Allipowell123
Allipowell123 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited February 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I am representing my partner who suffers from long term depression and anxiety.

We have a court  hearing on Monday 22nd February and I am wondering if they refuse to allow the claim what happens next? He has been without his pip since June last year and his condition has worsened. Can i make a back dated claim to then as i believe you cannot open another PIP application while waiting for a court date and going through a mandatory situation??
Any advice?
Many thanks

Comments

• Ajk110
    Ajk110 Community member Posts: 47 Courageous
    Options

Hi @Allipowell123 this link may help you: it explains the appeals process. The appeal provides an independent final look at whether the DWP has made the correct decision and DWP is required to respond accordingly once the judgement is made. Should that be unsuccessful you should consider calling the Scope helpline for advice on what to do next. The lead advisor in this area is @debbievoakes

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

Hi Allipowell123 

The first thing to note here is that a claim to personal independence payment cannot be backdated.

Secondly the tribunal will be considering how your partner was at the date they made the claim to PIP. They will also consider how he was three months prior to that date and whether he has or is likely to have the same problems for nine months after the date of the claim. Deterioration in someone’s condition isn't something that can be taken into account unless it applies over the period of time I have described.

I say this because It is important that the focus at the hearing isn't on how his condition has deteriorated but rather on how his health problems have affected him over the twelve month period.

Finally if you disagree with the tribunal's decision there is a further right of appeal but it's on a point of law so you need to show that the tribunal has made an error of law in how they reached the decision. The starting point for this is to request the tribunal’s statement of reasons for the decision but I would suggest you post back on here after the hearing if this applies and we will advise you further.

I hope that helps and good luck at the hearing.

Best wishes

Paul

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.