Getting a stairlift? Disabled facilities grant — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Getting a stairlift? Disabled facilities grant

mossycow
mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
Hi there,
I've had an assessment with local Occupational therapist and they have called to say the panel have agreed I need a stair lift. So, I am waiting for someone to call to come over and do a financial assessment for a disabled facilities grant. 

To put it bluntly. I need a stair lift so that I have better access to both floors of our little house. I'm not able to work right now and my husband has a modest wage working full time for a charity...... so I am wondering what this means test will be.

Does anyone know how they test? I know they "disregard first £6000 of savings"....but as we have no savings I am wondering if it is based on husbands income for example. Anyone have an advice or experience?

Thanks

Comments

• anaqi
    anaqi Community member Posts: 52 Courageous
    Hi!  

I have been assessed as needing a stair lift but I was told I would have to pay for it myself as my husband working full time and is on a decent salary.  We have no savings, there is very little money left at the end of the month and there is no way I can afford to buy one so I'm left crawling on the stairs when I'm too ill to walk, which my OT agrees is dangerous but there is nothing else they can do.

They wouldn't tell me exactly how they calculate the amount and there is very little information on the internet.  I believe it's similar to the way they calculate housing benefit.  They look at your income and savings and then deduct what they think it costs to live.  They do no take into consideration the extra costs of being disabled.  If you have more money than this they may make a partial grant or say you have to cover the full cost yourself.  They reckoned we could afford to spend half my husband's annual salary, which is why my application was turned down.  

Based on my personal experience unless you are on a low income and have no savings they won't be able to help you.
  • otherpaulsmith
    otherpaulsmith Community member Posts: 1 Listener
  • mossycow
    Thanks, it doesn't really give me exact info but gives me an idea of what they will ask. Hmmmmmmmm had a look at a back up plan and there are some reconditioned stair lifts for £1400, so along with installing an what not.... under £2k? I dont know. I still get stupidly anxious when thinking rryabout ESA and as a consequent dont currently claim it though I should,,,that's a long, boring story that is probably common to so many of us! Any way... i think for the sake of my mental health I need to put it to the back of my mind till they come out in the next few weeks to assess....
  • mossycow
    Hi there! Well, 3 years after first being assessed and 5 months after panel giving the go ahead... I have a stairlift! And my bathroom has been completely ripped out and replaced with adaptations. We are very happy it's completed and I wanted to pass on a message to keep going and ask for what you need...... . I'm off to have my first shower now! 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh that is brilliant news @mossycow !!! 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness