PIP Question — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Question

Mol
Mol Community member Posts: 52 Connected
I have applied for pip, I have now been told by my doctor I  have osteoarthritis in both my shoulders with sprus, Hence the chronic pain I am in. I am waiting to have steriod injectt ions in both shoulders.

Should I phone up DWP and let them know or wait until my assessment to tell them?

Comments

• Julianoz69
    Julianoz69 Community member Posts: 3 Connected
    Have you completed the PIP 2 form how your disability affects you yet?
  • Mol
    Mol Community member Posts: 52 Connected
    Yes I have, I am still waiting for them to contact me.
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Just bring it up when you get to the assessment interview @Mol. Make sure the assessor puts into the computer form.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Mol

You could inform the DWP of the diagnosis however it is more important to tell the DWP about what you are not able to do in terms of the PIP activities which you have an opportunity to do when you complete the PIP 2 form.

If when you completed the PIP 2 form you told them about the chronic pain and the limitations this causes you then like Markmywords says you can inform the person carrying out the assessment of the diagnosis. 

Whilst a diagnosis of a condition is useful for PIP, it is the limitations and difficulties you have resulting from it that decides which points you may score in each activity. Remember also that to qualify for points you need to have had the difficulties (and not necessarily a diagnosis) for three months prior to the date from which you claim.

Best wishes

Paul

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.