Mobility scooter and PIP Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mobility scooter and PIP Assessment

Options
charmed
charmed Community member Posts: 53 Connected
i use a mobility scooter outside will this go against me, as i have limited walking without falling/stumbling, will the scooter go against me?

Comments

• johnphillips
    johnphillips Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    it could affect route planning etc
  • charmed
    Options
    I just use it out the car and in the shop, no way i could go round streets on my own 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi charmed,

What benefits do you get or are you applying for? PIP (personal independence payment) looks at how far you can move by standing and then moving - if you use a scooter, you don't stand and then move, so it sounds as if you would get points.

If, without the scooter, you can only walk with falling and stumbling then this would not be walking 'safely' or 'to an acceptable standard' and you should get points for not being able to move very far at all without this risk. It may be worth thinking about how far you could move without that happening, if at all, as this relates to the questions on the form. To get the mobility component of PIP you need 8 points, and to get it at the enhanced rate, 12 points.

ESA (employment and support allowance) looks at moving as well, but any moving you can only do with an electric scooter shouldn't be taken into account. If you can't move safely on level ground without it, then you should get points. To get ESA, you need 15 points.

So no, I don't think the scooter would go against you, but if you have more specific questions and can tell us which benefit you are worried about, we can give you more advice.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• charmed
    Options
    Was on High dla and low carers  moving over to pip 
    f2f at home just been told two weeks , i am not safe walking may stumble and can only walk labout one bus length, but then thats too much breathless and pain, so use scooter outside

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    Options
    Thanks charmed,

Ok, so you're having a face to face assessment at home. The things to emphasize for the PIP mobility assessment are exactly what you have said above, that you are not safe to walk any distance at all, and that if you do walk about 15 metres (the maximum bus length), it's painful & leaves you breathless. Explain that you wouldn't be able to do it again, as 'repeatedly' is a factor. 

From what you have said, you are unable to walk 20 metres, and certainly can't do so 'reliably' (repeatedly, to an acceptable standard, safely and within a reasonable time period). If that's correct, you would meet the conditions to get 12 points in the mobility activities, which would lead to the enhanced rate of the mobility component.

The thing to concentrate on is explaining why you use the scooter, what risks there are, how you can't walk very far at all without it, and that this would cause you breathless and pain. As you've also been getting some DLA care component, make sure you take the same approach to other questions the assessor may ask, about your daily life - if you can do some things but only very slowly, say so, explain any risks you may face at home whilst carrying out everyday tasks such as washing and dressing, and tell them about any aids or appliances you use to help you at home.

Good luck,

Will

• charmed
    Options
    Thank you
    i have a carer pruees my food for week and freezes monitors withe medication as will forget. Shes ocd so have clean house i can dress myself but will take a while my bathroom has been okd to adapt OT as authorised a shower room as not able in out of bath safetly have seat lift at moment but awaiting the start of modification.
    thanks for your help again i just want this over and done with.

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    Options
    Hi charmed

As my colleague Will says it is not just whether you can do something it is whether you can do it 'reliably' (repeatedly, to an acceptable standard, safely and within a reasonable time period). You should bear this in mind for all of the activity areas which you can find in this comprehensive guide by Disability Rights UK here.

David

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.