DLA to PIP, Timespent at home form — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA to PIP, Timespent at home form

Daz
Daz Community member Posts: 2 Listener
daughter has been awarded PIP. Currently on DLA and send in 'Time spent at home' form as she has respite 4 nights per week so only can claim for dates she is at home. PIP advisor says I have to phone in with dates as no equivalent form.  I can't spend time every week trying to get through to give this info. Why isn't there a form. Must be plenty of claimants who spend regular time away from home.
Help appreciated from Benefits Advisor or other members please!

Comments

• bubbly
    bubbly Scope Volunteer Posts: 26 Connected
    How old is your daughters?
    surely it is irrelevant where she is staying as her needs are the same?
    i know for carers allowance you have to provide a certain amount of support but not aware of only being able to claim pip for certain times.
  • Daz
    Daz Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    She's an adult and spends 4 nights per week in a nursing home and three at home with her family. DLA is only paid for days spent at own home, including the day you come home and the day you go back to nursing home.  PIP don't seem to have a form to record this so how do I tell them? I don't want an over or underpayment to sort out!
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Daz

There is a rule that DLA care component and PIP daily living component stop after 28 days spent in a residential care setting. There is also a rule that means repeat stays in residential care are linked to the previous stay and means the total can reach 28 days after a series of respite stays, presumably nine in your daughter's case because days traveling to/from count as days out. And so this is why she is only paid for the days spent out of respite care and i would expect this to be 4 days of each week she has a respite stay.

From an income maximisation point of view it would best if there could be a gap of more than 28 days after the ninth week of each cycle. This would mean the starting counts again because the stays are no longer linked and it would allow for the PIP to be paid in full on an ongoing basis.

Whether or not you/she decides to break the cycle you can notify the stays in writing even though there isn't a standard form. You can simply write a letter which you can amend whenever there is a change. It would be a good idea to get proof of postage even if it is just a receipt which you can get for free from the Post Office.

I hope this helps
    David
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.