We need help! Hit rock bottom — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

We need help! Hit rock bottom

mollyedwards
mollyedwards Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited February 2017 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi I'm Molly I'm 18 and I have a sister (21) that suffers with asperges, I have recently gained access to her Facebook messages and I hate the idea of invading her private life. Over the years we have moved multiple times and struggled alot as she lies. She creates lies that she believes and my family don't no what's ever true or not, after looking through her messages I have found that shes been telling people lies about my family ranging from a broken rib to made up people dying. We don't no what to do? We want Beth to have a happy life and be able to have a relationship but how can we expect this when the foundations are all lies?

Comments

• mollyedwards
    mollyedwards Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Please help any advice will help!
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mollyedwards welcome to the community, this sounds really tough.  Have you spoken to your sister about why she lies? Does she feel she has to lie to make friends or feel interesting etc?

What prompted you to look through her messages? It is an invasion of her privacy (even if you had the best intentions behind it!) Do any of your family members feel able to sit down and have a good chat about how she is feeling.  Not with asking her to defend her actions, but questioning why she feels the need to lie in the first place?

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VioletFenn
    VioletFenn Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    edited February 2017
    Some people do make things up for attention, whether or not they have ASD. You say 'we have moved multiple times and struggled a lot as she lies', so she presumably knows that you know about the lying anyway? As @Sam_Scope  says, have any of you ever tried asking her why she does it? Finding out the motivation behind it would help you decide what, if anything, to do next.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mollyedwards how are you getting on with this situation with your sister?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness