Can appellants claim travel costs to attend PIP Tribunal hearings? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can appellants claim travel costs to attend PIP Tribunal hearings?

Options
Matilda
Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
I am awaiting a PIP Tribunal hearing date.  Will I be able to claim taxi fares to attend?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 210 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    From Citizens Advice, they say
    • check the venue has everything you need, eg if you asked for a sign language interpreter, check they will be there
    • check what expenses you can claim and how to claim them - the tribunal service will give you this information
    So I would get in touch with the tribunal service.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Matilda
    Options
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Matilda

Reasonable travel expenses can be included and will include public transport and private car mileage. You should contact the clerk to the tribunal if public transport is not viable as they may cover a taxi fare but this needs to be agreed beforehand. For more information on this see the government website here.

Best wishes
    David
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Matilda
    Options
    Thank you, David.  Do the DWP ever send a representative to PIP Tribunal hearings?
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Matilda,

Yes the DWP do sometimes send a representative called a presenting officer. 

It used to be the case that presenting officers hardly ever attended unless the appeal was complicated, but now you do see them a bit more often as they had a recruitment drive. Many people would say that the recruitment was specifically because of claimants winning at ESA and PIP appeals; at the very least it was because of the increasing numbers of such appeals.

Don't be put off though. The presenting officer should explain the reasons for the decision, but that doesn't mean they will be able to show it is correct. They may even provide information which helps your side of the argument.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Matilda
    Options
    Thank you, Will!  DWP have stated that they awarded me points only for use of aids.  They have ignored my claim that I cannot complete tasks reliably, i.e. it takes me a very long time (more than twice as long as it would take a non-disabled person) to complete the tasks.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.