Privately Funded Wheelchair — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Privately Funded Wheelchair

Blue Frog
Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
Hi has anyone bought a wheelchair for their child/themselves privately? The NHS have given us something that is basically a huge heavy pram and we would really like something lighter and doesn't make my little girl look like a baby.  

Just wondering if anyone has done this and has any advice/ideas/things to look out for? I know the NHS do vouchers but am not holding out much hope considering how long it took to get the pram!! Thanks. 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    "Newlife Foundation, the UK’s largest charitable provider of equipment to help disabled children and those with terminal illnesses, has a wide range of donated equipment available for free placement with families or at very low cost to professional services and organisations. To see the range of equipment, visit the website and then contact Newlife’s Care Services Team. Simply call 0800 902 0095 (Monday-Friday 9.30am-5pm, or until 7pm on Wednesdays) or email nurse@newlifecharity.co.uk "

I found this on the Scope website, does it help?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Blue Frog
    Thanks Sam. I have been saving up the DLA and Carers allowance - so paying for it isn't an issue. Mainly wondering how people get on with servicing etc, but R82 have given me some info. Have taken the plunge and ordered one, very exciting can't wait to take her out in it  <3
  • Kress
    Kress Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi Blue Frog, we have a three year old girl and also went for an R82 (Stingray).
    It's really good, but still quite heavy - I guess its like a first wheelchair and because it needs to be suitable for use in the car its going to be a bit heavier.

We used the NHS voucher scheme - through that, they contributed the NHS cost of the chair they were offering which ended up being half of the cost of the R82.   We got the rest through local charity funding.  It only took a couple of weeks - so if you can wait that long its worth the wait!  And I am sure there's loads of other things you can use the allowances on! 

Good luck with it!  Let us know how you get on!
  • Blue Frog
    We've been waiting 8 weeks for an appointment with wheelchair services and no sign yet  :#  we had to wait nearly 6 months for the pram, which they eventually found in a cupboard covered in dirt!! 

To be fair, our experiences of almost every other part NHS have been fantastic - but really do despair when it comes to wheelchair services.  

Brightness