Son turned down for PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Son turned down for PIP

Options
LauraMckeown
LauraMckeown Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My son is nineteen and has Aspergers he has just been turned down for PIP even though he had received DLA from he was sixteen.  They scored him 0 points!  I have put in for a reconsideration but they want further evidence and my GPs surgery refuse to do letters for benefits because it uses their time.  Help.  What can i do?  What other proof can I get that my son never leaves his bedroom and his computer?  That he will only eat every other day if I am lucky and even then its cereal?

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi LauraMckeown,

I suggest you start off using the PIP self-test so you can see what points your son should have scored. If he had a face-to-face assessment then ask for a copy of the report written by the assessor and show where it is wrong. As regards evidence, keeping a diary of what your son does and doesn't do, and the help that you give him is evidence, even though it may not be actual medical evidence. Give examples, just as you have in your query, of a typical day.

If there is anyone else who works with your son or used to work with him, consider asking them to write something, for example a teacher from school, although I realise he may no longer be in education. Any consultants or social workers who have helped you should also be approached. Another idea would be to contact the National Autistic Society as they will probably have come across this problem before. Another really good charity for  the parents of young people claiming benefit in this situation is contact a family.

Also, you might want to consider talking to your MP about the problem, as this really does leave many disabled young people and adults unable to claim the benefits due to them because doctors will no longer supply evidence.

If the assessor's report is very inaccurate you may also wish to complain about the company that provided the assessment - ATOS or Capita.

Another point to remember is that case law about PIP has said that evidence from the DLA claim is relevant to PIP particularly in situations like this where the nature of the condition may be one that is unlikely to improve  - so even if the DLA evidence is from some time ago, a decision maker would have to have good reasons to ignore it.

Good luck!

Will

The Benefits Training Co:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 210 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.