Hair drying for a person with sensory issues around heat — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hair drying for a person with sensory issues around heat

Lorri3
Lorri3 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hello I am just new to the group, I am having a real problem with my daughter getting her hair dried. She has a huge thick mop of hair, she cannot abide heat even her shower is cool. Therefore using a hairdryer is a nightmare using a cool setting just takes far too long to dry and carers are not allowed time to do this but using even medium heat causes her so much distress.  The easiest thing would be to let it dry itself but that takes hours. Does anyone have any suggestions any would be greatly received 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lorri3 welcome to the community.

Would your daughter consider having her hair cut shorter? Im just thinking the shorter her hair, the quicker it will air/towel dry.

I have really thick hair and so understand that air drying can mean HOURS of waiting.  

Does your daughter have a specific diagnosis that is causing these sensory issues?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi Lorri,

Welcome to the community! We've got a few tips about hair here:

http://www.scope.org.uk/support/tips/hygiene/hair

Unfortunately, I don't think we have one about drying hair (other than keeping it short!), but you might find some of the other tips useful.
  • Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    edited February 2017
    Is it heat in a particular area of the body that she finds difficult? Just wondering if something that focused it on her actual hair rather than her neck/face might help...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Hair-Care/Portable-Hair-Dryer-Soft-Hood-Bonnet-Attachment/B0057X1GW6/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1487241767&sr=8-4&keywords=hair+dryer+hat

There are also some microfibre wraps on there, would keep it all up and warm while it dries naturally. 

http://www.byrdie.co.uk/how-to-dry-hair-fast/slide6
  • Lorri3
    Hi Sam Scope
    I used to keep her hair short for this reason but she always gets taken for a boy even when wearing girl colours. She tends to wear darker colours between her hands getting dirty from self propelling then touching clothes, saliva dripping and food falling or a drink dribbling (she won't keep on a little scarf to help, she doesn't like different things from her normal) it's the easiest option.  The other problems we have with her short hair is it grows so quick it has to get cut every three weeks and the hairdresser can have to call round on the separate occasions to finish one hair cut. This job is quite dangerous as she is so distressed and lashing out, so no straight lines Her hair is wiry and thick and it grows out the way rather than down the way. Professionals had also commented that it was a baby hair cut!  Hair has always been a nightmare one way or another. 
  • Lorri3
    Hi Blue Frog

Thanks for your suggestion I think it's the heat itself plus the noise. I would consider her shower to be cold but my daughter days is to hot.  I will certainly try the bonnet and see how we get on. She has autistic tendencies and doesn't like things that shouldn't be there be it hair bands, baubles, glasses getting her temperature taken anything. 
    I will let you know how we get on. 
  • Rainbow_wheelz16
    Rainbow_wheelz16 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    For occasional  use you could try dry shampoo. There are some good ones that don't  leave a white powdered look! You could also try shampoo  caps that you heat in the microwave and they don't  leave the hair too  wet otherwise, maybe have the hair layered and  thinned out as this will help it to dry quicker.
  • Lorri3
    Hi Alex many thanks I had stumbled across this link on Google last night which in turn led me to this forum which was really lucky 
  • Lorri3
    Hi Alex many thanks I had stumbled across this link on Google last night which in turn led me to this forum which was really lucky 
  • Lorri3
    Hi rainbow_wheelz16

Thanks for microwave suggestions I had never heard of them before I will definitely give them a try.  My daughter needs her hair washed daily as she lies on a air mattress that has a rubber cover she also sleeps on her back with a sleep system around her so she cannot turn over, only move her head. she sweats perfusily and her hair has bird nest effect at the back.  It would be great if the microwave wraps meant she could get washed every other day. 
    I have used dry shampoo but her hair just feels thicker than ever. Many thanks 
  • Rainbow_wheelz16
    Rainbow_wheelz16 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    edited March 2017
    http://www.revlonbeautycare.co.uk/product/perfectionist-2in1-dryer/
    Found this..might be useful . Tesco have it

You could also try  turbie twists hair wraps?
  • Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    That looks really good @Rainbow_wheelz16
     B) 
  • Lorri3
    Hi Rainbow_wheelz16

That looks great I will order it and let you know how we get on.  Thankyou.  The turbie twists wouldn't work she would have them out quick flash. Many thanks Lorraine 
  • Lorri3
    Hi just an update regarding the other suggestions the microwave hair wash hasn't arrived yet,  I will need to chase up. 
    Unfortunately the bonnet lasted a minute and it was ripped off in a fit of rage.  We have persevered a few times but the same response. 

Thankyou for everyone's suggestions Lorraine 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lorri3 did you try the microwave hair cap? How are you getting on?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness