Has anyone had the same problem with PIP claim? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has anyone had the same problem with PIP claim?

Options
vikster68
vikster68 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi just wondered if anyone has had the same problem as me with their pip claim?  I currently get the highest rate mobility component which i was awarded indefinately as my condition will only ever deteriorate, they have now given me standard rate mobility any advice would be welcome

Comments

• WaterLily
    WaterLily Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    Options
    I was the same as you vikster68. 
    I was on high rate mobility,indefinitely,for 15 years, DLA.  Had my assessment for PIP and was given standard rate mobility. 
    I then composed a letter stating my reasons as to why I disagreed with the decision to the DWP. This is called a Mandatory Reconsideration. 
    I was fortunate at this stage as the decision was overturned and I was given the high rate back. 
    I have read that for that to happen is quite rare but you have to do the MR in order for you to appeal to tribunal. 
    Should you need to get as far as tribunal, then the chances of the original decision being overturned, are very good. 

Hope this helps
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hi @vikster68

Yes, This problem is very, very common.   The government apparently think that too many people are getting free cars!  Never mind that they need cars because their walking is bad.  I believe that over 800 cars a week have to be handed back.

I got DLA higher rate mobility which was reduced to standard rate mobility PIP.  The mandatory reconsideration made no change so I am now awaiting an appeal hearing date.  As @WaterLily says, the chance of the original decision being overturned at appeal is very good - over 60% of appeals are successful.  

Fortunately, my car was my own, not Motability's.  I'd encourage people who do get enhanced mobility PIP to buy a car and not lease from Motability, in case at the next review their award is reduced. Although Motability don't promote the scheme, I believe that on request they will allow people to buy a new or used car.  And some private dealers will give five years' interest-free credit.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.