Pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip

Hollands_106_2717_
Hollands_106_2717_ Community member Posts: 18 Listener
Hi i am DLA and have been for years now and i was retired when all this come out.
My award was for life would i have to have this done i was born 1949 and my condition has got worse over the years 
E Stebbings

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @Hollands_106_2717_

Welcome to the community.

I had a look on the Gov.uk PIP checker: https://www.gov.uk/pip-checker

Unfortunately, the cut off year is 1948, so it says that you could be contacted by the DWP to claim for PIP:
    Your DLA ends after September 2017 or your DLA award has no end date
    You can be contacted any time to claim PIP. This includes if you have a long-term award of DLA or an indefinite award with no end date.
    Not everyone will be contacted to claim PIP right away. You’ll continue to get DLA until Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) writes to you about when it will end.

If and when you are contacted we can help you with that process.

• Hollands_106_2717_
    Hi Alex i have had a letter and now got my forms and i have aids around the home to help and i waiting another assesment from the OT dept.
    And i am under pain management service as well my  condition as got worse over the years and now my MIR scan has shown 2 bulging disks and information near the bottom of my spine plus sciatica and fibromyalgia doesnt help.
    But its all stressfull and this on top 
    Thank you Eileen
    E Stebbings
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Eileen - you get PIP points for how your medical conditions affect you on a daily basis, not for the conditions themselves.  Both Disability Rights and CAB websites give good advice about claiming PIP.

Going through the PIP fiasco is very stressful - but we have no choice.  Often worth it in the end.  It's good that you use aids - these will earn you some points so make sure you mention them aids in detail on your claim form and in your diary.  Also, if you don't meet any of the 'reliability' criteria, emphasise this.  The DWP's own handbook states that if claimants don't meet ALL of the reliability criteria for an activity, then they count as not being able to complete that activity at all!

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/519119/personal-independence-payment-handbook.pdf
  • Hollands_106_2717_
    Oh matilda thank you for your advice i will refer to this for refference when i fill out my forms as well with all my evedence huni thank you
    E Stebbings
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @Hollands_106_2717_

How did you PIP application go? Have you heard back yet?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.