On sick pay, refused PIP and falling behind with bills — Scope | Disability forum

On sick pay, refused PIP and falling behind with bills

lynned69 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi i have been on sick pay for 6 months now due to arthritic joints i work as a carer and in so much pain everyday i cant continue my job any longer 
i applied for pip and because i could plan a journey and make a light meal i was refused any help 
please can someone advise of what i can do as im only on £354 per month and have fallen behind with bills etc 


  • Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Hi Lynned69, welcome to the community. I've moved your post to out benefits advisors' thread as they may be able to help. You might also want to try our online benefits calculator, to see if you are eligible for any other benefits, such as ESA. Scope's information pages on money and finances may also be useful.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi Lynned69

    PIP is one of a number of benefits you might be entitled to. Firstly, i suggest you request a mandatory reconsideration of the decision which you must usually do within one month of the decision being made. Late requests can be made but you have to explain why you are late. PIP rules can be crazily complicated and it would be well worth finding some help locally if you can. You might also like to use this guide on claiming PIP produced by Disability Rights UK.

    I also suggest you get a more comprehensive benefits check done either from a local advice service or as Chris suggests above by using the Scope online calculator. It seems as if you are still getting Statutory Sick Pay but this will stop after 28 weeks and you should probably claim Employment and Support Allowance as soon as possible so there is no gap between the two entitlements.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.