I don't call my Autism Spectrum Condition a 'disorder' - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I don't call my Autism Spectrum Condition a 'disorder'

Options
2»

Comments

• bendigedig
    bendigedig Community member Posts: 254 Pioneering
    Options
    Somthing is wrong?  Every time I try to post bits are missing? :(

i dont understand why?

like I say I try to avoid labling people as much as I possibly can.  Its just somthing I feel strongly about..  

I totally respect and get other peoples self determination though :)
  • Anonymous123
    Anonymous123 Community member Posts: 27 Courageous
    Options
    I am right handed, but I'm left eyed (as I learned on my first day of my photography class when I was 15) and I do other things, besides writing, with my left hand.
    I too disagree with calling it a disorder, but then it's the same with calling someone in a wheel chair disabled, when the wheel chair actually makes them 'able' again.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 210 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jamieknight
    jamieknight Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    Howdy,

My take is that autism is just part of the normal variation in people.

We all vary in how we communicate, interact, perceive and interpret the world around.

The challenge is being a very small minority group we are often disabled by the environment around us and the attitudes of others. Environments are rarely well designed to be inclusive to all.

The good news is that this is slowly changing. Our needs are being considered in more places and the wider world is slowly accepting us for the value we can bring. 

That's my take on it anyway :)

jamie + lion 
  • claire112340
    claire112340 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    hi I have autism and learning difficulties enyone from uk south wales write back plz

Brightness