My daughter' learning disability — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My daughter' learning disability

mughfarat
mughfarat Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi , my daighter has learning difficulties and she is on P levels.SHe always find it difficult when she is doing maths . Can you suggest me any techniques plz?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 210 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mughfarat
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 210 Listener
    edited January 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger

Hi mughfarat,

If your daughter is mainstream school talk to the SENCO, otherwise talk to her teacher as these should be able to give you ideas on how best to help your daughter.

These suggestions probably work better for a younger child, but are all ones I used on my daughter.

First of all forget about teaching your daughter 'maths', leave it to the teacher. What you can do is make maths fun and part of her life.

Cooking: This is a fantastic way of introducing your daughter to several mathematical concepts, weighing, measuring and time. At the same time she is learning to cook, read, follow instructions, with the added bonus of something tasty at the end to eat.

Finding shapes while out. I played this with my daughter, picking a different shape and see who can find the most first.

Another favourite was playing simple  games like snakes and ladders and Ludo, I also got rid of the six sided dice and used 10 sided dice to make life easier, they can be found online for a few quid. Don't be afraid to adjust the rules a little. So for example on Ludo you have to throw a 6 to get a piece on the board, we would use any number larger than 6.

A huge favourite was making our own card games. For example using index cards we made our own version of Fish. The beauty of this was we had great sessions of craft, creating our own card sets, then playing cards with her own unique set. These were usually with 52 card, 4 different colours and then shapes, pictures or numbers. As I recalled the kings were all power rangers, using their colour as the theme for that suite. 1 was a dinosaur, printed and then coloured in the relevant colour, and so on. These were either printed, coloured and glued to the index card, or drawn straight on the card. Another thing she loved was I would print her photo out and pasted it onto the back of each card.

Personally I never bothered with buying books. I did however subscribe to Enchanted Learning website. For less than £20 per year it gave access to thousands of worksheets covering a wide range of topics and activities for different ages and stages. These gave me the confidence to start creating my own for my daughter. My daughter loved this site and would regularly pick ones to do, as well as what we printed for her to use. Unlike a book you can print when ever you want so the same sheet can be done several times.

The more you can make things part of your daughters life the easier it will be for her at school. The more you do together the easier it will be for you both to think of new ideas.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• mughfarat
    I want to send my daughter in mainstram school as she is not happy in special school .What shall i will reply to judge if thaey ask me that your daughter levels are very low how she is going to cope in mainstrram school ?
    what will be the affect on other children and as well on her ?
    I am very worried about these things . I need advise and can someone suggest me the site where i can get the information about these kind pf problems ?
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    edited February 2017
    Hi @mughfarat, how are you and your daughter?

Was the information above useful, and have you be able to work out a way forward?
  • EducationalPsychologist
    EducationalPsychologist Community member Posts: 118 Courageous
    Hello Mughfarat,
    The best approaches are multi-sensory with lots and lots of repetition in short bursts. If you need advice about challenging school placements try the IPSEA website.
  • loopy415
    loopy415 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    My daughter has FAS and partial sight problems - workbooks with lots of colour and 'extras' such as counting fish etc is a problem as she would centralised on why the fish are their not the maths. Too much info.   She has been using Bond books for early maths at home - basically straight number work. Vertical number lines help with keeping numbers the right way round and how numbers rise and fall. Large box graph paper stop numbers leaping round page and 'rules' eg. One number in a box, writing and discussing+ plus add total at the top of the page helps her understand that all mean the same. Id try different approaches and keep it light your not looking for pages of work. Through this approach i picked up that my daughter is probably dyspraxic but they wont test until next year but again the vertical numbrr line helps tremendously. My daughter likes to empty her piggy bank - lots of scope for useful info and maths work.  Pens and paper though - maths is such an abstract thing and incredibly hard to think up numbers in mid air. I don't take for granted that people at school know what their doing just because they are teachers.  I've had gob smacking meetings.  She's tired of counting up to 10.
  • mughfarat
    Thnx dear thats brilliant

Brightness