Pip assessor - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip assessor

Comments

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    edited March 2017
    Hi Karent, Who is the minister for disabled people and did you get a reply? Has this made a difference to your MR ? 
  • kenny
    kenny Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    Hiya karent I have done a lot of research into this what I have found is it doesn't matter to them how many illnesses you have, if they decide you can do certain things for yourself or with aids they will give you very low points, the illness or conditions do not count it's based on what you can physically do. The assessor who saw me made a statement that I could read complex matter but I had evidence from my college this was untrue. My advice is get strong evidence to prove what you say, otherwise you may struggle.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2017
    kenny is right.  DWP are only interested in your medical conditions to the extent that they are conditions known to cause disability.  Otherwise, award of PIP points is only about what you can and can't do on a daily basis and how far you can walk before needing to stop and rest.  PIP awards most definitely are not for the conditions themselves no matter how many diagnoses you have.

Assessors and DWP won't assume that certain conditions cause disabilities - the person being assessed has to make it clear that they have difficulty undertaking daily tasks or can't do them at all on their own, that they meet the criteria for award of points.  It's also best to keep descriptions as simple as possible without leaving out any essential details.  Assessors are not very well medically qualified, so descriptions of the the diagnoses themselves could confuse them and they are likely to err on the side of awarding fewer points.

In other words, you have to make a strong case that your disabilities meet the descriptors' criteria.
  • poppy19
    poppy19 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    THIS NEW PIP IS AN INSULT, TALK ABOUT THE ASSESSSOR PUTTING THINGS IN MY CLAIM I DIDNT EVEN SAY, I WAS FUMING, SHES ONLY A NURSE NOT A QUALIFIED DOCTOR, IVE GONE FROM HIGH RATE MOBILITY TO STANDARD, OVER THE QUESTION CAN YOU PLAN A JOURNEY, IVE NOW APPEALED TO THE TRIBUNAL, THE DWP TRIED TO MAKE OUT THERE ASSESSORS DONT LIE, OH YES THEY DO!!!!
  • kenny
    kenny Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    This is happening to thousands of people. And you will have to prove what you say to try to get your money back!
  • wildlife
    Hi Poppy, Did you miss out the Mandatory Reconsideration stage or have you just not mentioned it. Anyhow assessors do lie so we're with you there. I've made a complaint to ATOS and 2 letters later they're investigating what happened. I've done some digging online and am also sure my assessor lied about being a Paramedic. The nearest thing she's ever done to healthcare is self employed sports massage. She's left now so unfortunately can't be sacked but ATOS need to get this sorted out. 
  • HeatherM
    HeatherM Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    This is all very worrying for me as a disabled person who works full-time and has had Cerebral Palsy (diplegia) all my life I'm now feeling that I have to justify the fact that I need help. In my 40's and now really feeling stiff sore and having difficulties walking  I can walk with a walking stick and have real problems with my balance.  I am waiting for an assessment (having already put back the pip form I hadn't heard from them so phoned today and was told that yes I do have to have a re assessment but that she can't tell me when).  This just adds to my stress levels.  I have been lucky to find a job that I love  has flexible working and it pays my bills - so people tell me not to worry you'll be fine but I do worry because the DLA provides  my car and pays some of my bills.  I get the Low care rate for DLA and I know that this has changed with PIP.  I had help with the form and the person who helped me thought that I would qualify for PIP but I have heard so many horror stories that I am not sure.
  • karent1966
    karent1966 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    It's a worrying time. I struggle walking from one room to another and try not to venture up the stairs in the day. But the assessor who only saw me walk a few feer put in the report that I could walk 200metres or more. I can't do that without major pain. 
  • Matilda
    The DWP's own PIP Handbook states that walking tests should take place outdoors making use of pavements and kerbs.  My appeal for mobility award is based on that as assessor decided after watching me walk 16 metres indoors on a flat, carpeted surface that I could walk 20-50 metres outdoors!
  • Justice
    Justice Community member Posts: 197 Pioneering
    Matilda it looks like you are very clued up which is great. These People do have guidelines to abide by, and descriptors to follow. The thing is many of the People undergoing these assessments are not always as clued up as they need to be, either because they are too ill, and in pain to be able to do this, and/or they have nobody to help them, and point them in the right direction.
    I am so glad I found this forum
  • Matilda
    HeatherM - there are positive PIP stories as well.  And 65 per cent of appeals are successful.  Tribunals know what pathological liars assessors are!

Disability Rights and CAB websites give good guidance about assessments.

The DWP PIP Handbook states how assessments should be conducted and the DWP Giude for assessor is about how to informally assess and question claimants! Quite illuminating. The assessor will ask about work if any, hobbies, pets to try to assess physical abilities and levels of energy. Assessor will watch you walk from reception to consultation room.  

I'll post the links for the Handbook and Guide later.
  • Matilda
    Justice - you are spot on in saying that some claimants are more savvy than others at handling assessments.  Which is why I recommend people reading all the sources I've referred to above.  Even so I was awarded only standard rate PIP both elements when my form indicated eligibility for enhanced rate both. 

I am am awaiting a tribunal hearing and think I have a good chance because of the incompetence of the assessor - a paramedic - and her lies!
  • HeatherM
    HeatherM Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Thanks this is a great community for helping others out shows what a good peer support network can do!
  • Matilda
    Indeed - I've found this site invaluable.
  • johnny100
    johnny100 Community member Posts: 125 Pioneering
    The assessors make things up on the PIP form.I got 2 points for bathing.My wige assists me getting into the bath as well as assisting me getting out.I have arthritus in both hips,cervical spondalosis,and have L1 L2 L4  L5  spine problems,I told them I could not wash my back and reach below the knees to wash my lower legs and feet,my wife has to wash and dry my hair,I telephoned the ATOS office and asked why I only scored 2 points.He said that if I was able to bath in some fashion it was enough and if I wanted or needed more points I would have to  be limbless.how dare he say this.It does not state on the PIP regardind the loss of arms or legs.Like I said they make the rules as they go along.I really wonder if these assessors are on some kind of bonusi  etc.,  
  • karent1966
    karent1966 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I heard that they are on a bonus to get through as many assessments as they can in a week and I can welll believe that it the one I had was anything to go by. How didn't people find out what their assessors profession was as mine never said I don't even remember her saying what her name was only that she was from capita to do my assessement 
  • johnny100
    johnny100 Community member Posts: 125 Pioneering
    I had an appeal many years ago.On entering the room the Chairman of the panel was a Solicitor,also a number of so called proffesionals.He said we do not work for the DWP.I replied and said,yes but you get paid from the DWP.a moment of silence and gasps around the room.However I think it did not help my case and got no award.I went to my GP who helped mr through the process  and I got the high rate DLA.Dont let these panels put you off stand up to them.
  • Matilda
    My Atos assessor's report gave her status as 'paramedic'.

Appeal tribunals are supposed to be impartial.  They get paid by the Courts Service not by the DWP.

The assessment companies are profit making and only allow about an hour per assessment. They cannot possibly cover all the ground listed in DWP PIP Handbook in that time. Another reason why so many appeals succeed.

• wildlife
    edited March 2017
    Matilda, As your assessor said she was a Paramedic I suggest you check if she's registered on HCPC Health Care Proffessional's Council. My assessor also SAID she was a Paramedic. That doesn't mean she is! Mine is registered for 2 years on HCPC up to 1.09.2017. Very convenient if you want to work for ATOS but websites and her Profile on Facebook where she's listed her jobs and education back to 1990 tell me that she's never trained or worked as a Paramedic. This has been added to my ATOS complaint. Unfortunately she's now left and gone back to another none medical job. The job spec. for assessors lists that they have to be a qualified nurse and have 2 years working experience to get the job. I am going to report her to HCPC as they have a code of conduct that all registered people must adhere to.
    Justice how do I PM you, you're welcome to my story.   

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.