Panic Triggers — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Panic Triggers

joannarashelle
joannarashelle Community member Posts: 135 Pioneering
Just been into a shop to buy a few bananas and bread, massive conflict for me internally for such a simple necessity. 

Anyone else struggle with everyday tasks, and how do you cope?

Thanks for any help 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • joannarashelle
    Thankyou for your advice @DannyMoore, I try to avoid things I feel overwhelmed with, but have started making myself do things little by little that I need to do for example going into a shop, I just find it hard to focus sometimes if feeling over stimulated!

Its weird how sometimes I can feel ok or comfortable yet other times totally panicky, though I can be my own worst critic oh dear!

Does anyone find themselves over analysing and how do you find a way to stop the thoughts? 

Im great at giving others advice oh yes really good at that!
    But struggle taking it on board...!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • joannarashelle
    Hi @DannyMoore thanks for your comment, have had counselling it can be hard for me to open up as I kind of know the questions they'll ask me and the reasons behind them as I gained a Dip. in counselling, very self aware which makes things difficult! 

Just talking about it helps, so thank you x 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @joannarashelle have you had any support in finding coping strategies?

Have you seen Moodjuice? It was recommended by a GP and might have some parts that could be helpful for you. 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • bendigedig
    bendigedig Community member Posts: 254 Pioneering
    edited March 2017
    Somtimes I really have to force myself to do things.

I think that, in part comes from childhood conditioning.  For good or ill, having parents raised in th 30s and 40s tends to teach you a bit about "getting on with things".

Its only now though that Im able to reflect on how many things I have forced myself through, that I realise what a cost this has come at.  

It would be nice to find a "sweet zone" where I was able to identify when not forcing myself to do somthing/things would be better for me and those around me.

I have to say though, that being forced to get on with things as a child at home and at school (no learning support in the 1970/80s) has enabled me to push myself more in life generally I think.  Has it been good for me on the whole though?  Well, Im not sure about that.

There might be plenty of changes in parenting and schooling today....  (They often arent practised). One thing is for sure though, adults with Aspergers NEVER get any REAL support commensurate with the difficulties that they face in thier daily lives.   I would even go as far as to say that the way society treats the adult with Aspergers is abusive.   

I know all of us with disabilities get a rough ride.  Im not suggesting that those with Aspergers or those with high functioning ASD and other similarly "not so obvious" issues have it hard and others dont.  Im just saying, that often, adults with Aspergers are suffering terribly on a daily bassis unbeknownst to anybody.

I suppose its the same for those suffering mental illnessess and trauma too.  Its that "invisible disability" thing again.   

I dont think it should be called "invisible disability" any more...  I think it should be called "ignored disability".   Its certainly ignored in the case of Aspergers.  Just look at how little the NAS are doing for adults with Aspergers?

• joannarashelle
    Hi @Sam_Scope only just read your reply, yes I've been on moodjuice and it is helpful, it seems my triggers are more intense when I'm stressed, understandable yes but still hard to deal with, we all get stressed! 
    I pick up on people's feelings quite acutely, a car coming towards me for example I'll know whether the driver is angry gentle confrontational and so on. 
    So when I pick up on negative energies from cars behind me it unnerves me, especially when they're tailgating (which is a trigger.. I abide the speed limit I've usually got dogs in my car and have a sign saying this) it annoys me when people drive so closely to me it makes me feel very uncomfortable and find it difficult to ignore them in my mirror. 

Thanks for your suggestion and sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I sometimes have a break from Scope community as it can be overwhelming sometimes if you know what I mean. 

Joanna xxx

Brightness