What's your favourite dunk? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What's your favourite dunk?

2»

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Back to dunking... I have been dunking shortbread fingers today.  They are a sturdy dunker! You can stick it in your brew for a good 3-5 seconds!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    A couple of my housemates are Dutch and they often bring 'stroopwafels', which are really good - a kind of doughy biscuit with caramel syrup in the middle. No doubt full of all of the sugar though!
  • bendigedig
    bendigedig Community member Posts: 254 Pioneering
    @Sam_Scope

oh my god.

shortbread!    Its just the best buiscuit thing going isnt it. :)
  • Sam_Alumni
    Mmmmmmm yes!  :#
    Scope
  • rachelcl
    rachelcl Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    I like most biscuits (my favourites are Hobnobs, especially chocolate ones). The only biscuits I don't like are pink wafers. I also like doughnuts, especially ones with a filling, and flapjacks.
  • Nicholas56
    Nicholas56 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    :p  It's got to be a Hob Nob!  No packet is safe once it's opened
  • Sam_Alumni
    I LOVE a hobnob @Nicholas56 but it has to be plain, not chocolate!
    Scope
  • Chris_Alumni
    Plain hobnobs got me through many a late night essay at university!
  • bendigedig
    Hobnobs like Pringles are laced with Crack.
  • Sam_Alumni
     :D 
    Scope
  • estellosaurus
    estellosaurus Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    :s Personally, I think dunking biscuits is the worst!! It genuinely makes me nauseous to see anyone do it! Which is why my husband and work colleagues take great delight in dunking biscuits in front of me!! I love a good cup of tea, but tend not to pair it with anything - I was diagnosed with Coeliac disease last year and gluten free biscuits just don't match up!!
  • jikkie
    jikkie Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    OK I'm not sure how on earth I'm so late to the dunking party, but I can't believe the good old caramel chocolate digestive has been overlooked. 
    It's got the slow-melting stickyness of the stroopwaffel @Chris_Scope, which adds to the staying power @Sam_Scope and @quinrah, plus all the chocolateyness you could crave...

Also there's a very enlightening article on the pie barm (or wigan kebab) here
    @bendigedig https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/09/pie-barm-twitter-wigan-kebab

Now I've seen it, I'm mildly intrigued (though not enough to go to Wigan sadly)
  • Chris_Alumni
    On the subject of pies @jikkie, I visited Hampton Court yesterday and learned that in the time of Henry VIII the pie crust was considered inedible and was just something to cook the meat in - they would take the top off, scoop out the insides and throw the rest away!
  • rachelcl
    rachelcl Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    That's such a silly thing to do - the crust is arguably the best bit of pies (I'm probably going to have a cheese & onion pasty for lunch today). Pie-eating has definitely moved on since Tudor times.
  • jikkie
    jikkie Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    rachelcl said:
    That's such a silly thing to do - the crust is arguably the best bit of pies (I'm probably going to have a cheese & onion pasty for lunch today). Pie-eating has definitely moved on since Tudor times.
    Too true @rachelcl - although I remember a bit of urban trivia (myth?) that that was what the crust of a cornish pasty was for - so when miners ate their packed lunches (pasties) with dirty coaldusty fingers, they could hold the crust like a handle, eat the middle, and throw it away at the end...

a quick google reveals this: http://www.cornishpastyassociation.co.uk/about-the-pasty/history-draft/

Also there's a cornish pasty association??!!
  • bendigedig
    @jikkie

Wiggan has laid claim to the "Pie butty" then.  Ha ha ha.

My old fella was from Warrington.  He had a bit of the old Pie butty mentality about him, then again he was off the Irish too so I think that heavy starchy repasts were a big thing in his life :)  A stint in the Catering Corps did nothing to knock that out of him on his National Service!

Bread and butter accompanied every meal in our house in the 70s and eighties.  Doesnt matter what was served.  It could have been bread and butter, we still would have had bread and butter with it :)

I too have the "piegene" this one word somes it up.  I think its not just a Northern thing, its a British thing.  I remember a Swedish friend of mine being somwhat amazed and disgusted at our custom of putting meat in a pie.  Duh!

Then there was the German friend who explained that our barbarism didnt end there.  In fact, even though its made by the Dutch (Netherlanders) now, apparently our heathen love of a thing called brown sauce is, or at least was at one time, a hot topic in culinary circles on the continent.

Similarly the French think we are "deffective" because we have this brown watery liquid called gravy! No French saucier in there right mind would dream of producing a British gravy!  Ha ha ha.

Getting back to dunking, 'cos they were babbling on about it on Radio 4 this afternoon and class was brought into the equation,  I have to say that for a time, I would once happily dip my bread and butter and often toast too into my tea :/  I was particularly intrigued by the beads of fat that would float to the surface in a shiny hydrophobic cellebration of its difference to the surrounding liquid :)

Ha ha ha.  Im off to cook the dinner now..... I think we' have somthing classy like pasta! :)

• Spottylegs
    Spottylegs Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Fig rolls for me.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Oh I do love a fig roll @Spottylegs :#

Scope
  • SeanRyan
    SeanRyan Community member Posts: 66 Connected
    I would have to say bite the end off a rocky bar, bite the other end. Insert into coffee and use like a straw. when it starts to go soft in the mouth and it melts soooooooooooo gooooooood :p
  • BenCSH
    BenCSH Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    I'm definitely in the bourbon camp, as much chocolate on a biscuit as possible I say! :blush:

Brightness