ESA and having a non-dependent living with me — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and having a non-dependent living with me

sxcgypsi61
sxcgypsi61 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello

I am in receipt of Esa support group and pip mobility and care components. If i have a non dependant living with me would my.esa be subject to deductions as the non dependant works full time?. I cannot seem to get a straight answer. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Hi @sxcgypsi61, welcome to the community. I've moved your post to our benefits advisors section as they may be able to help. 

• sxcgypsi61
    sxcgypsi61 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you Chris
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello sxcgypsi61

If your ESA contains a severe disability premium worth up £61.85 per week then up to this amount can be lost when a non-dependent moves in. You will only be getting the severe disability premium if you: 1) receive a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living component (as it seems you do); and 2) no one receives Carer's Allowance in respect of caring for you; and 3) you live alone (ignoring dependent children and some other disabled people).

Other than the loss of the severe disability premium above there can be no other losses to your benefits.

David
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Wales
    Wales Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    hi am also on esa support group i get premium of 16.37 a week my 18 old works full time how will that work to my benifits
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Just to point out that the SDP is now £64.30 per week, single person rate and not £61.85. 

@Wales The enhanced disability premium you claim of £16.40 per week won't be affect by this. The only disability premium that will affect this is the severe disability premium of £64.30 per week, if you claim it. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.