Do you have any tips for maintaining or restoring good mental health? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you have any tips for maintaining or restoring good mental health?

Chris_Alumni
Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
We're currently putting together our latest community tips page, which will concern mental health. To that end, we need your help to compile some useful practical tips from community members which we can include on the tips page. This might be:
  • A tip for reducing stress
  • Tips for balancing mental health
  • Useful resources for those concerned about their mental health
  • Tips for carers of children with complex needs and mental issues
  • Tips for dealing with toxic habits and harmful behaviours
If you've got a mental health tip you'd like to share, post it as a comment below.

Comments

• bendigedig
    bendigedig Community member Posts: 254 Pioneering
    Oh dear.

Good mental health for most people these days is known as "coping" isnt it?
  • micksue52
    micksue52 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Stress balls are a good way of relivieng stress, learning coping skills that will help a particular person.  Music and art is a good stress free and taking your mind of feeling down in life.  Joining a group who understands what you are going through so that the person can feel at ease discussing theirs and others disabilities.  Being involved in other groups that many communities have right on their doorstep.
  • joannarashelle
    joannarashelle Community member Posts: 135 Pioneering
    If possible get an animal preferably dog or cat, the best stress reliever
  • bendigedig
    edited March 2017
    I think that the most important thing Ive learned with my mental health and well being is keeping an eye on my relationship with alcohol.  Of course all drugs are problematic.

Alcohol is a very dodgy drug.  Because of its place in British culture we often get tricked in to thinking that it is safe.... It is anything but.  Particularly to those like me with Aspergers and a huge Number of others with a swathe of other conditions that can be negatively exaserbated by Alchohol.

the Brain doesnt get on very well with Alcohol on a number of levels.

dont want to sound preachy or be a hypocrite but watch the booze, cos itll be affecting you in ways you are unaware of sometimes.

apart from seeing it written that its okay to have a glass of wine or a pint of beer ocasionally, i dont think that you will find any doccumentation any where stating that it is a good idea to drink alcohol.

its took me all my life since my mid teens to have leared this and Im 43 now.  Its funny how societal and cultural conditioning can cause you to believe somthing is okay when in fact on closer inspection and more rational scrutiny it patently is not.

oh yeah, did I mention.   WATCH THE BOOZE!
  • Zec Richardson
    Zec Richardson Community member Posts: 154 Pioneering
    I had a right good wobbly time in in 1999, after several years of being physically unwell and having suffered panic attacks for nine years, I had a breakdown. 

At the time it was horrible for me and my family, I was treated as an out patient but a few times the staff at the out patient centre spoke about admitting me. 

I firmly believe that if I hadn't had that breakdown, I wouldn't be coping with pain and disability now. It gave me the tools to cope and also made me stronger. 

Its like a house that has cracked walls because the foundations are broken, you can keep plastering over the cracks but they will reappear and in 1999 my house came crumbling down and the doctors and therapists helped me repair those foundations. At the time I didn't know why I was having panic attacks but through therapy and talking, I found out what had triggered them. 

I did keep having them though and it's only in the last couple of years that they stopped, 25 years of anxiety and then someone said to me "what is the worst that could happen" and that suddenly helped me so much. 

Ironically I'm now able to travel because I don't suffer from the panic attacks but the pain now stops me lol. But I have travelled to hospital appointments that are out of our area and not felt one bit of anxiety. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 210 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Chris_Alumni
    edited March 2017
    Thanks to everyone for sharing your tips and experiences so far (particularly for being so open and frank), some great ones there! Keep 'em coming!
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    I think that if you are struggling, you should seek medical help and see your GP.  There is so much stigma and shame attached to mental health problems and this puts off people from asking for help.  Your GP can assess you and refer you for counselling and/or look at medication.  

My other tip would be to try and get out every day, even if it is just into your garden or a brief walk to the corner shop.  If you can get out, the fresh air really makes a difference to my mood.  I know it isnt so simple for everyone but even if you need support to get out, I think it is so beneficial to mental health, mood and attitude.  :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • bendigedig
    @Sam_Scope

I think things have moved on now.  There are very few people in society today who are not suffering from some sort of mental health problem...  There is less and less of a stigma because we are all suffering from either stress, depression or anxiety in some combination or all together to such an extent that we are, many of us, clinically ill.

The big concern now is what the future holds for our children if we do not combat the issues that are exacerbating the current neagative state of our collective mental health.  

The way to better mental health for us all, apart from trying to eat well, sleep well, drink plenty of water, engage in regular exercise, try to have a rich and varied social life and pastimes etc...... Is to ensure that we all put our house in order in relation to the way we are governed.

Many of societies ills could be eliminated by simply by the people choosing to reject the way we are currently governed.

We would all feel a lot better then, of that I am sure.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
  • iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    Hi All, 

To be mentally fit is good to find few moments in the week just for yourself, have passion or hobby. We are only humans not iron structures, we are sensitive to how others act towards us. The gold role of life I learnt in my personal life is be honest to yourself and others. If anyone is no kind to you, is trying to gossip about you or even abuse walk away without word. Just ignore what is happening lack of interaction with those who are no friends it will gave a piece of mind and save lots of positive energy. To stay mentally well I read, I cycle I volunteer. 
    By the way @DannyMoore please  could  you share the books title you are reading now.

Thanks 

Iza 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
  • iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    Hi @DannyMoore,  
    :) thanks for sharing the title of book. I have to say it bring enormous smile on my face. It is true most of us females are jugged for the way we look. If we do not look as Slim Models then indeed we are receiving comments from mates, family members. I think the best to feel well yourself with the body. There was time in my life I was skinny now I do have good few kg's to much. Anyway I still like myself. Hope you are enjoying the nice weather. 

• Chris_Alumni
    Many thanks for all your tips everyone, the page is now published and you can view it here.
  • Charlottewaring9
    Charlottewaring9 Community member Posts: 18 Connected

Brightness