18 year old son with CP - Single Parent support needed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

18 year old son with CP - Single Parent support needed

Options
katyhump
katyhump Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi everyone. Just joined group as feel I need support. My son is 18 and has cp. He is really struggling if I'm honest. He has never had good use of his left hand and his right hand has got worse as he's got older. This has really knocked his confidence. He hates eating out in public as he can't cut up his food and shakes when he lifts drinks. He feels incredibly isolated and doesn't have much of a social life. Being honest I'm finding it really hard supporting him as nothing I say gets through and don't really have much of a support network myself. (Single parent) just wondered if anybody was experiencing anything similar ? So I don't feel so alone. Any advice would be gratefully received x

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi @katyhump welcome to the community, it sounds like you could both do with some support.  

Are there any networks near you to get support? You can search the Services Map by postcode to see what Scope offers near you.

This is a really friendly community and we have lots of parents of young adults with CP who I hope can offer you some support and information.  

This is a really long thread by @Noah about things people have found useful for managing CP and might be worth you having a look through?

Also take a look at the Parents and Carers category.  You arent alone in this, there is support out there and I hope we can help you find what you need.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • trudy
    trudy Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Options
    It might help you both if you join a club where you both can go that have the same problems as you.talking to people in the same position as you could help and support you x
  • DannyBoy2541
    DannyBoy2541 Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    Options
    Hi @katyhump My name is Danny I have CP and also have issues with my left hand and body.I'm 25 and I'm happy to help if he can use a computer if he needs to talk I'll be more then happy to help him through whatever he needs.
  • Brightsky_101
    Brightsky_101 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi @katyhump
    I know exactly how you feel. 
    Its terribly lonely and so hard, my son is 21 months unable to walk, I go out every day to different toddler groups and feel I have to not look or seem sad when my friends kids same age are running about whilst my little guy cannot. I shouldn't feel sad because he's awesome and I certainly don't show it but inside I'm breaking.
    today I got AFO's for his legs and as I struggle to get them on him another one of his friends walked for the first time. He's so heavy I struggle carrying him but we have to keep going and it's early days I guess we will just get used to it and get into a routine! 
    I send you positive thoughts, know you are not alone. Xxxxx
  • DannyBoy2541
    DannyBoy2541 Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    Options
    Hi @Brightsky_101 I was just wondering what kind of CP does your son have if any? because I have had experience with leg braces myself because I have CP myself and I may be able to help.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @katyhump,

How's everything going?

Brightness