If i win PIP tribunal, do i get the money back that they woud have paid for the car that i had? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

If i win PIP tribunal, do i get the money back that they woud have paid for the car that i had?

paulp
paulp Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited April 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi im awaiting for a date for my PIP tribunal case, im just wondering if anyone knows, i had my motability car taken off me in Oct 2016, and i was just wondering if i win the case, do i get the money back that they woud have paid for the car that i had? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• GeoffBosworth195661
    GeoffBosworth195661 Community member Posts: 161 Pioneering
    Hi @paulp welcome to the site the question and answers can be done following  the free Scope Telephone 0808 800 3333 ask for a benefits advisor who will talk you through with this one have a lovely day and any time you want to join the chat group talk on anything in a chilled out with a nice drink you will be most welcome.
  • paulp
    Hi im awaiting my date for tribunal appeal, they took my motability car off me in oct 2016, ive appealed the decission as i got 10points and needed 12 for the car, im just wonderinf if all goes well in the appeal, do they back pay me the money they would have spent with me still having the car? thanks
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi paulp

Basically, yes they do. If the decision is changed by the appeal tribunal and you are awarded the enhanced rate of the mobility component then the DWP will pay you the arrears going back to the time your PIP was first awarded. Assuming you are currently getting the standard rate of £21.80 per week and you are later awarded the enhanced rate of £57.45 per week then the DWP will owe you the balance of £35.65 per week for the period in between the date of the original PIP award and the date the decision is later changed.

Good luck with your appeal

David
    The Benefits Training Co:

• paulp
    Hi David, thanks for your reply and advice, but what i meant to say was that i wasnt having the money, i was havin the motability car. I was just wondering that the money they would have spent on the car, would they back date that money to me if i won the case?
    Thank you in advance.
    Paulp
  • pathood
    pathood Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    Hi David, I think that Paul is trying to say that yes they would because you are paid the higher rate for mobility to be entitled to a car, you choose to use that money for a car, if you don't want to do that yet u can use the money to pay for buses, or taxis or anything else to help with your mobility. 

• pathood
    pathood Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    Please forgive me Paul, I actually mixed ho your names, I'm so sorry.

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @paulp - David is saying that if you win enhanced PIP mobility then the extra money will be backdated to when your PIP award was first made.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi Paul,

Hope you've got this!

The amount of the backdate would, assuming you are now on the standard rate, be £35.65 x the number of weeks since your enhanced rate was removed.

As Pathood correctly says, this is the equivalent of car x this number of weeks, as this is the alternative option to having the mobility car.

Hope this helps!

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

• paulp
    Thank you all very much for all your help. Much appreciated,
    Paulp
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @Paulp,

How's everything going? Have you got a date for your tribunal yet?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.