Deductions from ESA on PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Deductions from ESA on PIP?

Options
mojocain
mojocain Community member Posts: 18 Listener
edited March 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi
I think old DLA higher rates rules were no deductions from ESA contribution based if other income eg pension.
Does this rule apply to enhanced rates PIP?
Thanks 

Comments

• mojocain
    Options
    I used to get DLA middle care & low mobility. My ESA CB had a small deduction due to my private pension income. My health worsened and now on PIP enhanced rates both daily living & mobility. Should my ESA CB now still have deductions coz of private pension ? I've written twice to DWP about this but no reply. Thanks.
  • mojocain
    Options
    Is there anyone there ?
  • rainbow
    rainbow Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Was on long term disability for meneriers disease plus anxiety and depression since the chance 2 pip they have stopped my money 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

Hi mojocain,

Unfortunately, the DWP do still take deductions from contributions based ESA for most pensions over £85 or more. If the pension is over £85/week, your ESA will be reduced by half the amount over £85.

For example if your pension is £95/week, your ESA will be reduced by £5/week.

Hope this helps,

Mary

The Benefits Training Company

The Benefits Training Co:

• mojocain
    Options
    Cheers. My DLA or IB or ESA  info booklet that came with DLA / IB / ESA annual updates, I'm sure said no deductions if on high rates DLA. I was on middle care - low mobility only so had deductions as you've described. But health indisputably worse and now on PIP enhanced rates and thought other income rules equivalent to high DLA. Can't find booklet now ho ho. No matter. Lucky to getting anything and grateful really to be born/live in UK where in spite of things there exists a benefit system coz many countries are far worse in that respect.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi mojocain

As my colleague Mary says there can be deductions from contributory ESA in respect of pensions. This doesn't change because of an award of DLA or PIP. However, an award of DLA or PIP can have the effect of increasing entitlement to the income related version of ESA which you might now qualify for. This is more likely to be the case if you live on your own as there is a premium called the severe disability premium which the DWP often fails to include when it should. I suggest you check this further by doing your own assessment here on the Scope pages. If you live alone and no-one gets Carer's Allowance for caring for you then you might also like to contact the office paying your benefit and ask them specifically whether they have included a severe disability premium. If they haven't they should send you a form to complete. They should also have included an enhanced disability premium for that matter but they tend to include this one correctly in most cases.

Do let us know if you get stuck!

I hope that helps
    David
    The Benefits Training Co:

• mojocain
    Options
    Brilliant info thanks I'll try again contact DWP soon. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.