DWP 'guidelines' — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DWP 'guidelines'

cottonbrain
cottonbrain Community member Posts: 17 Connected
Can someone pleeeease give me some advice.
I had my pip review in January at home, went from enhanced daily pip to no award! Asked for MR, decision was upheld, no award. Sent sscs1 form for appeal, received a phone call from DWP 1 week before their deadline to say they could award me two more points which would take me to standard daily rate, my husband questioned the lady about the fact I didn't receive points this time for needing prompting to take nutrition (I was awarded this previously). Her response was "you need proof off a nutritionist that your wife is malnourished " to which my husband tried to explain that I am not malnutritioned because he prompts me to eat and drink daily! But she just kept repeating "well these are our new guidelines".  I feel like banging my head on a wall, how do you reason with these people!
Sorry for being long winded and thanks for reading, any help is appreciated 

Comments

• janice_in_wonderland
    janice_in_wonderland Community member Posts: 265 Pioneering
    Basically they're saying everyone can do something which is why only 20% are being awarded PIP 

Majority are having to appeal 

can you get advice from a support worker or welfare advisor? 

Benefits and Work, Guides you can trust are the ones to google 

I'm sorry I can't help anymore than that 

Best wishes 
  • cottonbrain
    Thanks for getting back to me, I spoke to a welfare advisor at Sefton council who said nothing in law had changed and I should have been awarded the 4 points, but when I spoke with DWP she just kept repeating that their guild lines had changed! Does the panel take 'guidelines' into account at appeal/tribunal or do they stick to the law, thanks again
  • janice_in_wonderland
    edited March 2017
    Yes there have been changes! 

March 16th this year! 

Im not sure which ones but from what people with disabilities are now being assessed for means eliminating several conditions inc Epilepsy 

It used to be 15 points but 20 points or more according to an online site a reliable source shared via an email 

one Social worker friend is concerned for her own child's mental health and benefits in addition to another saying he knows a man who has lost £50 pw who uses a mobility scooter yet a very fit man who has lost a couple of fingers has been awarded... 

we fear some people may be so unstable they may consider self harming re their fingers 

cuts cuts cuts! I hope people don't self harm it's extremely worrying!
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    The help you need just has to be reasonable.  You have to demonstrate that given your condition, you need prompting to eat / drink and explain what happens if you don't get the help you need.
  • cottonbrain
    It's criminal in my opinion! There have been changes to mobility they brought in the 'except due to psychological distress' wording and also to the therapy discriptor, but nothing about nutrition! Seems they make it up as they go along
  • cottonbrain
    I tried to explain that Nystagmite but apparently to qualify for the nutrition descriptor you have to be malnourished and able to prove it! The reason I'm not malnourished is because my husband prompts me!! But try explaining that to DWP, maybe I should stop being prompted and just get ill, absolute jokes they are.
  • janice_in_wonderland
    Unfortunately I'm unable to click like on your comments atm 

i just hope the most vulnerable get the right advice and guidance and support they need to help them through 
  • sundontshine123
    sundontshine123 Community member Posts: 92 Courageous
    omg im shocked with what you said they said.
    I am same as you, was enhanced and now nothing.
    absolute JOKERS!

• sundontshine123
    did you get any points?
    I got 4 mobility and 2 daily living
    so march 3rd lost my award i just waiting to hear about my M R
  • cottonbrain
    Hi sundontshine123 I received 7 points initially for daily but during a phone call she awarded me an extra 2 points, so qualified for standard, received 4 points mobility so going for the appeal, fuming isn't the word!
  • sundontshine123
    Snap dont blame you.
    bet they take my points off me as they did that to guy was talking to not so long ago he had 2 points went for MR ended up with 0 points after.
  • cottonbrain
    They will try any dirty trick they can it's scandalous the way they treat people, good luck with your claim, hope you get your award (eventually)
  • snuggie11
    snuggie11 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    I was taken off ESA went to tribunal & won it back, went to job centre today for a back to work app, I have to go once a month for a year, am feeling very stressed now worrying about the volunteering that they want me to do, I am in constant pain despite taking loads of meds was told if I dont do it my money will be stopped
  • sundontshine123
    @cottonbrain thank you and same too you. 
    Check bbc news website article about pip on there today
  • janice_in_wonderland
    I read people need 8 & 12 for the 2 separate components 

used to be 15 plus points 

now 20 plus 

how they can take points away after appealing is so disheartening 

all the best friends everyone 
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    No idea where the 15 & 20 points comes from? You need 15 for ESA.

You need 8 for standard PIP and 12 for enhanced.
  • janice_in_wonderland
    Yes 8 & 12 for PIP 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.