How long does it take appeal to happen? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How long does it take appeal to happen?

Options
beka
beka Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited April 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
i was wondering how long it takes for the appeal to happen ? 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @beka I saw this information from @BenefitsTrainingCo on another post about PIP, they said:

Unfortunately there is no strict timescales for the DWP to conduct mandatory reconsiderations, and the decision cannot be appealed until this stage has been completed.
    In practice it normally takes between 2-8 weeks provided it is logged on their system as being a reconsideration request -in this regard I recommend calling them after around 10 days to make sure the request has been logged appropriately. The number is 0345 8503322.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • beka
    beka Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    ive had the reconsideration and they didnt change there minds so waiting for appeal date now
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It seems to vary a bit according to region.  In London it's six months from receipt of appeal application to hearing date unless you opt for a short notice hearing.  Otherwise they have to give you at least two weeks' notice.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    OK, on this thread, the @BenefitsTrainingCo say this:

3 months is not an unusual length of time to wait I'm afraid.
    If you got a mandatory reconsideration notice from the DWP, and then appealed to an independent tribunal, I'm sorry but the wait isn't unusual.
    I know it is not much comfort but if the decision is changed in your favour, you will get arrears of benefit. It may also be worth telling your MP what has happened and asking for their help

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've now been waiting for over three months.  When the Court first responded to my appeal in Dec 2016 they asked me to let them know the dates I would not be available for the coming six months.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.