PIP application refused — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP application refused

onlyme
onlyme Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited April 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I current receive DLA at the lower rate which was awarded for life. I know this will change soon but I am not concerned about this at the moment. My real concern right now is my daughter who has just had her PIP application refused. Bit of a long story but basically she had an open compound fracture to her right ankle on 3rd October 2016. Two operations within the week. Home on crutches non weight bearing for six weeks then in a boot. Her pain levels worsened and she has just had a third operation to remove pins and plates. They have now put more screws in and she is in a cast again, non weight bearing again for eight weeks. One of the reasons for refusal is "You said you  have difficulty moving around, I decided you can stand and then move more than 50 metres but no more than 200 metres". This based on face to face assessment where she moved on crutches to front door to let her in 5 metres. Straight back to couch where she stayed all the time assessment took.place. Another 5 metres to door to let assessor out. The rest is in similar vein. What constitutes legal definition of (Registered) Disabled?

Comments

• GeoffBosworth195661
    GeoffBosworth195661 Community member Posts: 161 Pioneering
    Hello @onlyme Welcome, Your Daughters ankle is a concern to be going through. The continued operation with screw can tell a lot when rescrewing. But the main issue is the report that as been put together that eliminates registered disabled. The ruling is very strict and the system now is completely stiffer penalties. My advise is to speak to one of the advisors free telephone Scope 08080 800 3333 ask for Disability advisor they will point your daughter in the right direction. Keep safe both of you.   
  • onlyme
    Thank you for your speedy response and good advice. It's very much appreciated. We will certainly act on it. Will keep you posted.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @onlyme,

Welcome to the community. Unfortunately, many people are refused PIP for very similar reasons. 

Have you asked for a mandatory reconsideration? Seems like you would have good reason to.
  • onlyme
    Thanks Alex, My daughter phoned the advice line today where she was given very useful information. She is in the process of composing her request for reconsideration. If that is unsuccessful she will appeal. She has also received a copy of the assessor's report today which makes for very interesting reading! To be continued........
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Is this likely to last for another 9 months? it's possible this is partly why they turned her down.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Good luck! There's a great tool from Advice Now to help write a MR letter:

http://www.advicenow.org.uk/pip-tool

Let us know how you get on!

• onlyme
    Thanks Alex. Yes her disability is expected to last long enough to qualify and she's been told that her ankle will never be the same again. What level of disability she will be left with is unclear at this stage. She's already done her letter, more of a dissertation! Will keep you posted.
  • djr1994
    djr1994 Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    Hey, what was the outcome of this? 
    I had a complex pilon fracture in June and had a mental frame in my ankle for 12 weeks, I am still unable to walk and in crutches. I’ve to get bone fusion surgery in feb 2020 and am currently working 3 days a week (taxis to and from) but struggling to surivive do sending PIP form away...
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @djr1994 and a warm welcome to the community! Is there anything we can do to help?
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.