Mental Health Care. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mental Health Care.

Michaelturtle
Michaelturtle Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Cambridgeshire County Council and its partner organisation Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Clinical Commissioning Group have no arrangement in place to provide Mental Health services for learning disabled adults in Cambridgeshire.This might be surprising but it is true.CLDP don't provide mental health care and CPFT don't provide any mental health care to learning disabled adults in the community. Comments please !!

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hey @Michaelturtle have you tried writing to your MP about this?

Mental health services seem to be getting cut in many areas which is really worrying.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Michaelturtle
    Sam,its not about cutting services. Its about no services at all.No provision was made when the Cambridgeshire Learning Disability Partnership was formed to provide Aftercare under S117 MHA.Neither the Cambridgeshire Learning Disability Partnership nor the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Foundation Trust are registered to provide S117MHA Aftercare to learning disabled adults. Stephen Barclay won't respond to my emails. Maybe Learning Disability Partnership clients don't vote in elections ??Only services provided are those directly arising from the persons disabilities not those arising from their mental illness.Very closely guarded secret just discovered.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks so much for sharing this!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Michaelturtle
    I don't think you understand the issue here.It is a STATUTORY duty to provide assessed Aftercare to those detained under S3 MHA.The Local Authority who are the Cambridgeshire Learning Disability Partnership and the Clinical Commissioning Group do not accept that they need to do this for learning disabled adults in Cambridgeshire.Council staff have no Policies on CPA or S117 Aftercare and do not assess learning disabled adults once they have left hospital.In hospital the Cambridgeshire Foundation Trust asses patients but once a patient leaves hospital they do not have their S117 Aftercare reviewed,assessed or updated.This situation is acknowledged by their director Claire Bruin.In addition, Cambridgeshire County Council failed to register itself with the CQC as a provider of regulated services untill 2016, nor did it have in place any agreed agreement with the CPFT for its management of clinical staff.The Cambridgeshire Learning Disability Partnership is a complete shambles in regard to its provision of S117 Aftercare.The County Council and Clinical Commissioning Group refuse to respond to correspondence or discuss this dangerous and abusive situation for learning disabled adults in Cambridgeshire who are subject to S117 Aftercare.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Courageous
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    In Wiltshire there is no funding therefore no treatment for complex PTSD only for much milder conditions under the IAPT service. Surely if funds are limited you would treat the patient with cancer rather than someone with a cold (an analogy). It doesn't make sense to help less severe mental health and not those who are off the scale (in the words of an IAPT councilor who assessed me). 
  • ATS
    ATS Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    It's a shame how little funding there is out there. In my experience there is little help to get you back on track and live well independently. I feel the doctors just medicate you enough to make sure your not at risk to yourself or others then you are on your own. My partner has been struggling with schizophrenia for nearly a decade and I feel like I'm the only one trying to help him
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @ATS Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

I have mental health issues myself. Understand the issues and problems.

I use mental health charities used this one last time.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

I hope that if you can get the help and support you need. Hope if this one helps you.

Please if we can help with anything else further. Please ask.

Always here to be supportive. Ready to listen.

Pleasure to meet you.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness