WCA Changes

carbow32
carbow32 Community member Posts: 134 Empowering
edited August 2 in Universal Credit (UC)

So what are Labour's options of changes to WCA etc.

Can they completely follow what the Conservatives came out with in November (I guess they can but probably won't)

Can they cherry pick Conservative Idea's and add their own?

Can they completely ignore the lot and go with their own ideas?

Will they need to do consultations again?

When will we know their intentions?

I worry and I worry and I worry.

I have no time for the conservatives but did quite like the idea of no reassessments for those LCWRA from 2025 (but I guess labour can ignore that)

What are peoples views

Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,087 Championing

No one knows anything at all because they haven’t really given any information other than those that can work, must work.
    Everything on here is speculation.

• Meg24
    Meg24 Community member Posts: 294 Pioneering

Just to add, I'm afraid the no further assessments message was a misunderstanding, I can't remember how it happened exactly, I think it was misreported at the time and then subsequently corrected. Labour did publicly oppose the tightening of the WCA at the time though, but whether they will stick to that view is unknown. What they seem to be stressing is that if we try employment but it doesn't work out, we won't then have to have another WCA to go back on the same benefits, although we do not yet know the time limit on this. They have not said anything about how they would change the WCA, just that they will reform it at some point.

• carbow32

It just go around and around in my head.

I am glad I am not claiming PIP although I am probably entitled. I can't face the process but that would be going around and around as well.

Wouldn't it be lovely to just be able get up do a 35 hour week and not have to worry about all this ****.

• carbow32
    edited August 1

The thing is none of us want the WCA as it is either.

The bedroom tax is starting to worry me as well when my daughter goes to Uni but still needs the room in the holiday. I can hardly downside and she has no where to go.

How much more of this are we mentally meant to take

• Catherine21
    Catherine21 Community member Posts: 1,021 Empowering

When my daughter went to uni council informed me was my home the main home she came to ie holidays ect if so I didn't need to pay bedroomtax but she was at dad's as well so I didn't look into it this was 8 years ago don't know if it's still the same

• Catherine21
    Catherine21 Community member Posts: 1,021 Empowering

Yes same got my head around no future assessments I did keep phoning charities to ask if this was true no future assessments they said yes it was so took me months to get head round after making myself so so ill keep reading labour calling pathways but that on social media so don't know how true that is

• Nightcity
    Nightcity Community member Posts: 112 Empowering

Nobody knows anything.

But whatever changes are made will likely need law changes which will always take a long time and follow the bill legislation procedure in each house.

Until/if we ever have a system where genuine professionals make decisions, all assessments are lifelong for certain conditions and limitations and coming forward to attempt work is optional and sanctions are binned for anyone not on JSA/equivalent the system will be miserable.

• 6less
    6less Community member Posts: 10 Contributor

The worrying part about all this is the size of the Labour majority which means that they can effectively steamroll anything through if they wish- look at the way they simply removed the whip from their MPs who wanted to lift the 2 child cap. Yes, that’s democracy but if not handled properly it can soon turn into a form of dictatorship.