Pip assesment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip assesment

badger9
badger9 Community member Posts: 24 Connected
My mother was sectioned just under 3 years ago after spending almost 3 months on physciatric ward was discharged  with meds and received pip. Shes in the suppirt group .she was assed and recently received outcome no longer entitiled to pip .she suffers with bipolar depression anxiety prsonality disorder i am her carer i look after her , she opened the letter herself and has sben so down more than usually i cant cope well i am at present but im also very down due to the outcome. We both attended assesment as she would not be able to travel to the apointment which involved taxi and a train jorney she was perscibed sleeping pills by her doc due to feeling anxious over the apointment i told her everthing would be ok and to remain calm i was told by the asessor my mother needed to answer all questions, she was asked if she found journey ok in which she replied no not really was stressfull and took over an hour to find building which was a 10 min walk from train sration.their map wasnt helpfull whatso ever we started jorney couple of hours before appointment time as knew mould be nervous and anxious and would need an hour at least to calm down.questions can i prepare a meal mother answered no daughter prepares meals .asked so you dont do anything then mother replied sometimes a sandwich if i feel like it.do you need assistance going to the toilet .no mother replied.but do have a eak bladder.can you wash yourself .yes i can wash my self but daughter primpts me to do this.can you travel.no not on my own.can you mix with other people crowded places.no would be anxious can you budget.no my daughter does this do you understand signs symbols danger.yes mother replied.outcome she  scored not one point!!!.im not at all happy this assesment had nothing at all to do with her mental health  it was based on what she can do physically im asking for an appeal im frightend to death to have to go through this again please help.

Comments

• Bobo6677
    Bobo6677 Community member Posts: 12 Courageous
    Hi does anyone know if when you go to your dla pip appeal does the assessor tell you the result or do you get the result by post, a friend of mine said the assessor told him he has failed, I thought everybody got the result by post, thanks Brian 
  • badger9
    Hi just read your post , no they dont tell you after you have been asessed you receive their desision around amonth later by letter.
  • Bobo6677
    Hi, I thought that myself,just wanted to make sure,thanks
  • badger9
    Glad to of answered your question can i ask if you suffer with mental health its very late or should i say very early im still awake as my mother is stil awake due to haveing bipolar shes manic at the moment due to being turned down for pip.
  • Bobo6677
    Hi,I recently retired from being a Lorry driver(I still wake at the same time every morning) , no I have no mental health issues my condition is all to do with my mobility 
  • badger9
    Sorry to of asked and good luck
  • Bobo6677
    Your welcome 
  • kenny
    kenny Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    The thing is badger9, that if the claimant can do the things that they ask, such as washing and dressing, making a meal, going to toilet by themselves, reading and writing etc, then the chances are you will not be awarded any points, and therefore will not receive pips, I am confined to a wheelchair with cerebral palsy, but had to fight to get pips!
  • listening
    listening Community member Posts: 6 Listener

badger9 said:

My mother was sectioned just under 3 years ago after spending almost 3 months on physciatric ward was discharged  with meds and received pip. Shes in the suppirt group .she was assed and recently received outcome no longer entitiled to pip .she suffers with bipolar depression anxiety prsonality disorder i am her carer i look after her , she opened the letter herself and has sben so down more than usually i cant cope well i am at present but im also very down due to the outcome. We both attended assesment as she would not be able to travel to the apointment which involved taxi and a train jorney she was perscibed sleeping pills by her doc due to feeling anxious over the apointment i told her everthing would be ok and to remain calm i was told by the asessor my mother needed to answer all questions, she was asked if she found journey ok in which she replied no not really was stressfull and took over an hour to find building which was a 10 min walk from train sration.their map wasnt helpfull whatso ever we started jorney couple of hours before appointment time as knew mould be nervous and anxious and would need an hour at least to calm down.questions can i prepare a meal mother answered no daughter prepares meals .asked so you dont do anything then mother replied sometimes a sandwich if i feel like it.do you need assistance going to the toilet .no mother replied.but do have a eak bladder.can you wash yourself .yes i can wash my self but daughter primpts me to do this.can you travel.no not on my own.can you mix with other people crowded places.no would be anxious can you budget.no my daughter does this do you understand signs symbols danger.yes mother replied.outcome she  scored not one point!!!.im not at all happy this assesment had nothing at all to do with her mental health  it was based on what she can do physically im asking for an appeal im frightend to death to have to go through this again please help.

• listening
    listening Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Oh you poor poor thing. I am so sorry this has happened you. I am dreading it...my assememt is due any time...so I do understand and then there's the waiting...
  • badger9
    Thank you for understanding alot of people do not understand what it is like when you suffer with bipolar personality disorder like a comment i was sent earlyier alot of disabilitys you can see but this is mental illness in which you cant ive not joined this forum to argue with any one i joined fir advice .my mother is still takeing meds from when she was discharged from hospital she can not look afterherself properly good days which vary she dosent wash sits around the house or stays in bed dosent go out and can be quite demanding if i didnt look after her shed be admitted back to hospital.and after their outcome it looks like she may be!!!.
  • badger9
    Hi may i ask i you suffer with mental health asnd if so what is your diagnosis.
  • Bobo6677
    No don't suffer from mental health issues, my problem's are all mobility 
  • badger9
    Sorry bob ive some how repleid to you again instead of replying to some one else im new to all this and with  only 4 hours sleep accidently replied to you sorry
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Hi @badger9, A lot has gone wrong with your Mum's assessment so I suggest you start to put it right and people on here will help. Firstly you should have had an assessor specially trained to assess people with mental health conditions or at least your assessor should have had advice or someone else in the room to oversee things. This is your right so mention this when you do a "Mandatory Reconsideration". You can check out the points system online just search for PIP points system and decide which of the things listed best describes what your Mum cannot do. Make sure you're saying the same as you did on the claim form. You won't need another assessment unless you complain officially about the 1st one so don't worry about that. Ring the DWP PIP number on your decision letter and tell them you want to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration. Then try and get more medical evidence if you can or any evidence from people who know your Mum and how her disability affects her day by day. Send this to DWP with a letter saying which things you disagree with and why and what actually happens on most days. You only have a month to do this from the date of the decision so be careful you don't run out of time. Hope that helps.  
  • badger9
    Thank you so much for your advice  my mother has been receiveing pip since being discharged from hospital almost 3 years ago i honestly thought i didnt or would have to fight for her to still receive pip, i look after her prompt her to wash bathe i do all her meals although she does sometimes make a sandwich or get a drink but on bad days dosent wash dosent eat and be quite abusive unfortunately this wasnt the case on the assesment so i beleave this is why we werent successfull i made sure she was clean well presented after all shes my mother if she didnt take her meds shed be admitted back to hospital so the med keep her under control left to her own devices shed be sectioned again. Im only 26 with no life or social life i am her carer and to be honest this is all makeing me down but i have to just get on with it.
  • wildlife
    @badger9, you sound completely overwhelmed by all this. Try to take it one step at a time. Did you ring the DWP after your Mum's assessment to ask for the assessor's report? Or did you just wait for the DWP to send the Decision? If you've got the proper decision then you need to check the date on it to see how much time you have to ask them to look at Mum's claim again. Post the date on here and we'll advise you what to do on Monday. In the meantime concentrate on getting some rest. You'll need your strength to look after Mum and sort out PIP. OK? x
  • badger9
    Hi thank you for your support and advice , we waited to here the desision we were told it would take between 4 to 8 weeks, my mothers benefit was due last week we both cheacked her account and the due payment was not in, i rang them up to be told it would be in today so keep cheacking which i did untill laye afternoon i rang again and was told over the phone it had been declined !!!!!i asked what the reasons were amd was told id have to waot untill i received the letter i told them i want to apeal and was told you cant apeal you can ask for the desision to be reconsidered the letter came friday morning and also stayed shed been overpaid and will have to pay them back im going to call them first thing in the morning we cant get to see her doctor untill the 19th as hes on anual leave we need her doctor that knows her and her mental health history ( can another doctor write to pip ? Or has it got to be her own? Advice must appreciated on seeing another doctor as the 19th is over a week away!!!!
  • badger9
    Oh sorry the date on the letter is the 30th of march.
  • wildlife
    @badger9, Any Dr. at your surgery will have your Mum's medical records online but you'll have to ask the receptionist or if the surgery has a separate admin like mine ask their advice about getting a Dr.'s letter. You may not need to see the DR. unless there's anything new you want to tell him/her.There will also be medical records they can print off from Mum's online records that would be useful if you explain you need proof of her mental health condition. If your decision letter only came on Friday you have time to write your Mandatory Reconsideration letter and get the evidence you need but if any evidence is taking too long send the letter and write in it that there will be more evidence to follow and can they wait till it arrives. 
                   In future when you go to any appointments with your Mum ask your surgery for a copy of the report so that you will have lots of evidence without having to go through all this again. If you have enough evidence in future especially of mental health conditions you might not need to go to a F2F assessment. 
                  Remember that it's not the diagnosis that's important it's how your Mum is affected by her illness and what help she needs so that's what you need to write in your letter. Start it by saying it's a Mandatory Reconsideration. Go through all the PIP criteria from a points list that you can find online and say what you have to do for your Mum and that's it's because of her mental health she can't do it for herself.                   

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.