Pip turned down anyone else turned down for mental health — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip turned down anyone else turned down for mental health

badger9
badger9 Community member Posts: 24 Connected
edited April 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Cant sleep or think straight since pip turned down.im asking them to reconsider as i beleave the asessor has not done his job properly  my mother has bipolar depression an personality disorder and the questions asked were about washing prepairing meals  jorneys which she cant do on her own i prepare meals make sure she takes meds do shopping and all budgeting which was made clear and she scored no points!!! Any one can help or advise me would be most appreciated thanks

Comments

• pip
    pip Community member Posts: 72 Courageous
    edited April 2017
    hello, I got pip and have mental health problems, a welfare advice person helped me who had experience in this field. sorry your mum didn't get it and hope they review it soon.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @badger9 so have you applied for the Mandatory Reconsideration? There is info about that here you can read through.  Remember you must apply for this within one month.  If that doesnt work, then you can go to appeal.

I am sorry you are feeling so stressed, you arent alone, keep talking here and hopefully we can help support you through this.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • badger9
    Hi yes im applying on behalf of my mother for a reconsideration, received a consultation report form which goes into more detail , well i cant beleave what the asseser has wrote!!! Alot is incrrect and he has lied regarding certain statements he wrote how can he lie?i wasnt happy with the results of the assesment and im rageing after receiveing this, hes either hard of hearing or just quickly scribbelled any thing down his name is on the report occupational therapist dissability assessor, ????? Why wasnt he a proffessional mental health assessor?  This just proves why she was turned down he assesssed her on her physical health not mental health the assessment was a complete waste of time and all the upset of travelling and the anxiety it caused my mother  who is now in deep depression and has took to her bed and has been their for  4 days i feel dwn and low myself but have to try and cope  wth it  thank you for your advice 
  • adriank
    adriank Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Good morning,
    I am in the process of applying for pip. The greatest help i have found is to get a proffesional on board with your case, I have worried for years about applying so well done you are pusuing the answer given, with the right evidence and the right support you will get the right answer.
    Adrian Knott
  • Disabilitypositive
    Disabilitypositive Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    edited April 2017
    Hi, 
    I am also in the process of applying for PIP, I don't know what to expect! I have head so much news about people being rejected even though they were on DLA. They have received my application form, but after the trouble your mum is having I am really not looking forward to the assessment! Please keep us updated of how you get on with them. Good Luck x
  • sue66
    sue66 Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering

badger9 said:

Hi yes im applying on behalf of my mother for a reconsideration, received a consultation report form which goes into more detail , well i cant beleave what the asseser has wrote!!! Alot is incrrect and he has lied regarding certain statements he wrote how can he lie?i wasnt happy with the results of the assesment and im rageing after receiveing this, hes either hard of hearing or just quickly scribbelled any thing down his name is on the report occupational therapist dissability assessor, ????? Why wasnt he a proffessional mental health assessor?  This just proves why she was turned down he assesssed her on her physical health not mental health the assessment was a complete waste of time and all the upset of travelling and the anxiety it caused my mother  who is now in deep depression and has took to her bed and has been their for  4 days i feel dwn and low myself but have to try and cope  wth it  thank you for your advice 

Awww badger, this is simply awful, your poor mum and you too. I hope your reconsideration gets you somewhere. Its all so wrong your mum not being given any consideration for mental grounds .  Clearly another one not suitable for the job and paid well for it no doubt.  Did your mum get any points at all?
  • badger9
    Hi sue66, unfortunately not no points what so ever, the asesser wasnt a mental health proffessional he was a dissability asesser because my mother can walk talk has use of her arms ect she scored no points this was based on physical health not mental health i have recievced alot of valued advice here and will keep you all updated .
  • sue66
    sue66 Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Well they should make sure the people see the right assessor then, how pointless it all is, a total waste of time and  upset caused. Why ask these questions on the form if they arn't even going to take the answers into consideration. :#

• taylorsue
    taylorsue Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    here is a file it is self explanatory: PIP is hard to do but this doc helps explain fully what needs to be done.
  • Beckilovesme
    Beckilovesme Community member Posts: 1 Listener

I was also turned down for PIP after getting DLA for years.

I have PTSD, BPD, anxiety, depression and an eating disorder. I am constantly self harming when the hallucinations kick in so cannot always cook for myself and can't be left alone for long periods. I get anxiety attacks regularly, including when out and about which has made it hard for me to hold down a job. I have been in and out of work for several years, always being dismissed or having to leave because of being ill constantly.

Yet PIP gave me 0 points too. I didn't get a single question relating to my mental health, just the usual 'can you lift a fork to your mouth to feed yourself? Can you walk 500m unaided or whatever?' Of course I can physically do that stuff seeing as I am not claiming to have issues with walking or using hands. Its more that I need supervision for everything and sometimes I am in so much pain from anxiety attacks that I can't get out of bed, wash myself or eat.

I just don't get it. I have been forced to go back to working full time as I cannot afford to work part time now I have been turned down for PIP and my mental health has been declining again pretty rapidly. Now having to be referred to other mental health services to get me safe again, I've been in and out of hospital, nearly died at one point and sent to a mental health unit. All since having to go back to work full time last year. Really don't know what to do anymore, the system is unfair, I have always tried my best and worked when I can since I was 16, since I became ill in 2010 I've had 14 jobs because I keep trying to work and get let go because of illness, i do as much to support myself as possible, attend every type of therapy I am referred to but yet just get looked at like I am lying and trying to rip off the Government.

I hope you can sort it for your mum, they can't keep getting away with disregarding people with mental health.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.