Thousands have disability vehicles taken away — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Thousands have disability vehicles taken away

Markmywords
Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
Article on the Beeb.

The government's response was to ignore it and give out information that wasn't even asked for. No change there then.

Comments

• jose2
    jose2 Community member Posts: 127 Pioneering
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Wow, 51,000 people!  :o 
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    500 CARS A WEEK  ARE BEING TAKEN BACK,in the papper monday a ladys car was taken back to save £8,000  then the DWP paid for her to have a taxi to and from work,£65,000 for 3 years
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Will Motability go out of business? 
  • Alex
    edited May 2017
  • Matilda
    Damian Green was squirming in his chair and kept avoiding answering the question.
  • Alex
    Yep, really awkward to watch!
  • Matilda
    edited April 2017
    Channel 4 quoted 900 motability cars a week taken away.

Damian Green claimed that there are more Motability cars under PIP than there were under DLA.  That's because the cars removed count as being awarded under DLA.

If there were a large number of disabled MPs and ministers, there'd probably have been no change from DLA to PIP.
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    your right there
  • Matilda
    We need more disabled people in Parliament.
  • Matilda
    Damian Green claimed that only 7 percent of people assessed for PIP appeal. If this is the case I'd say it's because most people can't face the prospect of a tribunal hearing .
  • jose2
    I listened to radio 4 this afternoon just as walked into my kitchen,don't know if anyone else heard it ,that ,,,,,unknown could be goverment ,just that Jeremy Corbin ,says that the whole system of these PIP assessments is causing NHS to be in total disarray and all this needs to be looked at with c/o that Atos and Capita, quota they are paid each year was as last year 150+  mllion pounds, but to date, its risen to 75+million to pay these private firms for this service  as I heard it ? ,could be wrong,as I couldn't believe it myself- if anyone heard this sum or I heard story wrong ,let me know, I am  incredulous at the amount they are taking from us the public, trying to ruin health service we've had since 1948, I told Dr last week government paying these disgraceful firms and trying to make us pay for a private heath care  as America,they are trying to take away our health care service and who do you think will be unable to pay for it ',the elderly and disabled' .I waited for this to come on again on evening news on TV, not a bluming thing about this! Disgusting ,my hackles risen again.Why is no-one brave enough and has the courage to do anything about this continuing  ,all Cowards I say the sooner we have an election and get em out  the better for me, as with another lady I won't mention a name on Poll Taxes.I'm sure you know who I mean.
  • Matilda
    edited April 2017
    The report on the BBC News Channel today said that Atos and Capita originally were supposed to cost the tax payer £500 million but this has risen to £750 million because Atos/Capita have had to do more work.  So Atos/Capita are being paid a fortune to save in benefits what by comparison amounts to peanuts. The Government know what they're doing  ;).

• jose2
    Disgraceful , ,I have just finished writing a letter to the Judge c/o Tribunal making my sincere apologies that I will be not attending this already over stretched court  hearing process personally, and will leave in his wisdom and experience as a Judge in such matters concerning my appeal in his capable hands and await his decision of my appeal as he so sees fit. Nothing to lose now for £ 22.00 standard rate per week awarded for Moving and Mobility components ,I can live with that on my part, if I lose it ! so be it, I've will not go through this ordeal ,think to day as like after a death of some one close to you ,you get to the final accepting part after you've gone through all the other  parts of a death anger ,sadness, why me /them stage and all that .  And there is always hope that I maybe able to purchase a little banger to get me from A-B  which I  maybe able to afford . And even if it stays the same I would never go with Motability Scheme again, never,lost faith in that now and this government that they will continue to employ such private companies and as you say take tax payers money to pay such vast amounts to them at the expensive of losing our NHS and what despicable practices which they make the disabled lose their  independence ,house bound lose their jobs and their ,homes,             'words fail me'.       
  • Matilda
    edited April 2017
    Good luck with your appeal, @Jose2.  It's certainly less stressful to have a paper appeal.

And I'd advise people who do get enhanced mobility to think carefully about leasing a Motability car in case at a future assessment they have enhanced taken away and lose their car!

Though they don't promote the scheme, I think that Motability will still allow people to buy a car from them with their enhanced mobility payment, new or used, over between three and five years.  Or, otherwise, use their mobility payment to buy a car privately.  Some dealers have 5-year interest free credit deals for new cars.
  • jose2
    Thank you, Matilda I too agree with you for others even if awarded Enhanced rate ,to think very carefully about Motability Scheme, they have been quite wonderful with me this last 6 yrs  but as said last night it's too precarious to hire a car that way again.  The Judge he can either say yes or no , can take rejection!, now I'm so blinking tired with all this , mentally and physically ,it's draining ! also , that is all good news to hear about interest free on cars , as that was something else you just reminded me of on radio, that these private companies are trying to  scrap Motability Scheme, could be some garages will go out of business.
  • tanya100
    tanya100 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    We never took a mobility car for my daughter, don't want to rely on something that could be taken away at any time

Brightness