DLA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA

lyngrove
lyngrove Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Can you tell me,can my mum get Attendance allowance if she get DLA 
She gets the higher rate for care.

Comments

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    you can't claim both.
  • lyngrove
    lyngrove Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Why not. I was told to claim. Just wondered
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    edited April 2017
     Hi @lyngrove,  If you're already getting DLA when you reach 65 you stay on DLA unless you're asked by DWP to claim PIP instead. Attendance Allowance is for people who are over 65 who become disabled and have never claimed DLA. You can't get both. I copied and pasted this for you from Gov.uk   "If you’re aged 65 or older and haven’t received DLA or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) in the last year, you may be able to claim Attendance Allowance instead."
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi lyngrove,

What Wildlife and Nystagmite say is quite right.

Also for reference, if your mother is on the higher rate of DLA, this is already equivalent to the highest rate of Attendance Allowance that can be granted, there would therefore be nothing to gain from switching from one to another.

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.