ESA50 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA50

SethLaa
SethLaa Community member Posts: 111 Courageous
I filled in and sent off my ESA 50 questionnaire towards the end of March and am now simply waiting for a reply, however, I now understand that prior to receiving said form I should have received a ESA 1 over the phone. I can categorically state that this never happened therefore should I be concerned or is it simply a screw up by our friends at DWP.
Many thanks in advance from Seth.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SethLaa from the info on the CAB site it says "You will already have completed the first ESA form (ESA1) - usually over the phone"  so I would give them a ring to clarify this.

Let us know how you get on.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • SethLaa
    Oooh I am a sillybilly, I didn't realize that the 'ESA1 form' was actually the initial phone call I made to start the claim process. I actually thought that it was a printed set of questions which I had to complete and return. My humble apologies for any inconvenience caused, thanks from Russ
  • Sam_Alumni
    No inconvenience at all! Definitely worth a phone call to check everything is in order!
    Scope
  • SethLaa
    Yeh I phoned approx 1 hour ago (2 hours if I included the taped music lol), all seems to be in order thanks
  • Sam_Alumni
    Great news! Good luck with it, let us know how you get on.
    Scope
  • SethLaa
    Well now  I am seriously confuddled, I completed and returned my ESA 50 questionnaire and was then told that I had been placed into the 13 week assessment group. I was led to believe that during this 13 week wait I would be called to an assessment for a Medical Professional to decide which group (support or wrag) I would be placed into however, today I received a letter from DWP informing me that I had actually been placed directly straight into the support group. Is this a normal course of action for DWP or am I truly THE SPECIAL ONE ha-ha
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi SethLaa/Russ,

Everyone has the 13 week assessment period but not everyone gets called to an assessment! I've had quite a few clients who have had the limited capability for work decision made on the basis of their ESA50 and this is perfectly legal and not that unusual (although still rare).

If, on the basis of your answers to the ESA50 and the medical evidence you supplied, it was clear that you meet the criteria to be in the support group, then the DWP can decide not to carry out the medical and make the decision on the basis of your paperwork. That's obviously what has happened here and it sounds like a good outcome.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• SethLaa
    Thanks for that Will, I have been informed that from June my payments will rise to just short of £125 per week,however, when checking a Benefits Calculator it also states that I should also be getting Universal Credit of approx £105 per week. My area is not yet registered for UC so should I be getting Income support instead?.
    I am NOT greedy but a combination (if payable) of Support Group ESA plus Income support would make me feel a little less stressed with regards paying household bills ETC. Thanks for all your help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Hello Sethlaa

If your area is not a full service area for UC then you should remain on ESA.

From your post it sounds like you are not in a full service area.  

If you are to receive £125 a week, it sounds like you are receiving the maximum income related ESA amount for a single person, IF you are not receiving PIP (daily living) or DLA (middle/high rate care).  Are you receiving PIP or DLA, living alone with no-one claiming Carers Allowance for looking after you?

Income Support would not (generally) be paid in addition to ESA.  Of course you are also eligible for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction. 

I am unsure why a benefits calculator stated that you should also get £105 a week. If you remain unsure you could contact a local advice center e.g. CAB or law center with all your income details to ensure that your benefit entitlement is correct.  

Maria

• SethLaa
    Hi Maria, yes I am in receipt of DLA/PIP, with regards Carers Allowance my Son lives with me but he works full time so obviously can't claim it. I own my home but am currently applying for a CT reduction (ha ha I aint that lucky). I did think that the extra £105 per week was a little far fetched lol. As a last point I am claiming Contribution Based ESA. Thank you so much for your help as OMG I need it, from RUSS x
  • BenefitsTrainingCo

Hi @sethlaa

So from what I can gather, the correct rate of ESA for you is the normal Support Group rate of £125.55.

This should include an income-based 'enhanced disability' premium as well as the contributions based ESA.

You wouldn't get the Severe Disability Premium of £62.45/week, which is sometimes paid to ESA/IS claimants on middle or high rate DLA care, or any PIP Daily living, because your adult son lives with you.

To summarise, it sounds to me like your benefit is correct!

Kind regards,

Mary

• SethLaa
    Hi Mary, thanks for your help, yes I realise now as I read/noted somewhere what the different payments are for ESA and EDP and they do add up to what I am receiving, methinks that I is gonna have to increase my Sons housekeep, ha-ha X

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.